Posted to alt.home.repair
# Fred # # Fred # is offline

Default Hammer Drill Recommendations Sought

"Steve B" wrote in message

"CWLee" wrote in message

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Yes! Go one step better, and buy a small rotohammer with the SDS bits.
Fergeddabout HILTI, as those bits will cost waaaaaaaaaaay more than they
are worth. SDS are available everywhere, and at a fraction of the cost.
Fraction as in 1/3, 1/4, 1/5.

A small rotohammer, like a Milwaukee with a decent capacity should run you
around $200, IIRC. Maybe even more like $150. Tons of difference when
push comes to shove and you have to drill 50 half inch holes in 5 sack
mix. Everything less cuts like warm butter.

DO NOT get the cordless. You want a workhorse, and batteries won't cut
it, and they are very spendy to replace.

Overbuy on this one for the times when a rotohammer outdistances a hammer
drill like a dragster leaves a Volkswagen. It has to do with the
hammering/rotating pattern/sequence of a rotohammer versus a hammer drill.

Hilti is a quality product, but why go spend $50 on a bit you can buy in
SDS for $15 at the Borg?

Take it from me. I was a steel erection contractor, and burned many a
hole in the hard hard concrete of government projects before I ever became
aware of the difference between a rotohammer and a hammer drill. I had a
Makita hammer drill, and thought it was hot stuff. Yes, it was a good
hammer drill, but not against hard concrete or aggregate. A contractor
lent me his Milwaukee Blackhawk (?) or something like that, and what took
five minutes of sweating with the Makita took thirty seconds with the
rotohammer. A hammer drill will eventually go through hard aggregate, or
burn up the bit. A rotohammer will fracture hard aggregate and concrete
easily, using percussion instead of high speed carbide cutting. I have
pulled red hot bits out of concrete with a hammer drill.

Let us know how it goes.

You asked for advice, and that's what I'd buy and why.

Steve

I have to agree. If his son is an amateur handyman he should already have a
hammer drill. A roto hammer is the way to go and the 1" SDS roto hammer at
Harborfreight is cheaper than most name brand hammer drills. I bought one as
a throw away toy for couple of projects but it lasted over two years and
still going strong. The Harborfreight drill through 7" 40 year old very hard
concrete to sink in a fence post. Only thing I could not do was bust out the
concrete (don't think the Hilti could do either), had to bring in my jack
hammer.

If money is no object than a Hilti or a Milwaukee. If he wants
top-of-the-line cordless hammer drill, check out Panasonic:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY69...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi

The Rigid cordless hammer drill have a lifetime warranty including the power
pack.