Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammer Drill Recommendations Sought

In 1985, my boss had a Makita hammer drill. It was about $270, so I
saved my pennies and bought one like it. Since then, I've seldom used
the hammer drill feature. But, I've used it for a lot of years,
installing deadbolts and other locks. And odd jobs around the house.

Then, in 2005 my new boss has a SDS drill that does also straight in
and out hammer. So he can use it for flat chisel, also. That comes in
handy to make holes through cement walls to run HVAC ducting.

I'm with the other guys -- get a 110 volt cord model. For home use, a
cord is perfectly fine. Portable cordless is only needed occasionally,
and then it's far more expensive for batteries and chargers.

I havn't used Harbor Freight's Chicago line of drills, but their
impact wrench $39.99 on sale, has worked well for me. The four or five
times I've used it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"CWLee" wrote in message

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
CWLee