Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Hammer Drill Recommendations Sought

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he
would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what
brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know
enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you
guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.

All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Yes! Go one step better, and buy a small rotohammer with the SDS bits.
Fergeddabout HILTI, as those bits will cost waaaaaaaaaaay more than they
are
worth. SDS are available everywhere, and at a fraction of the cost.
Fraction as in 1/3, 1/4, 1/5.

A small rotohammer, like a Milwaukee with a decent capacity should run
you
around $200, IIRC. Maybe even more like $150. Tons of difference when
push
comes to shove and you have to drill 50 half inch holes in 5 sack mix.
Everything less cuts like warm butter.

DO NOT get the cordless. You want a workhorse, and batteries won't cut
it,
and they are very spendy to replace.

Overbuy on this one for the times when a rotohammer outdistances a hammer
drill like a dragster leaves a Volkswagen. It has to do with the
hammering/rotating pattern/sequence of a rotohammer versus a hammer
drill.

Hilti is a quality product, but why go spend $50 on a bit you can buy in
SDS
for $15 at the Borg?

Take it from me. I was a steel erection contractor, and burned many a
hole
in the hard hard concrete of government projects before I ever became
aware
of the difference between a rotohammer and a hammer drill. I had a
Makita
hammer drill, and thought it was hot stuff. Yes, it was a good hammer
drill, but not against hard concrete or aggregate. A contractor lent me
his
Milwaukee Blackhawk (?) or something like that, and what took five
minutes
of sweating with the Makita took thirty seconds with the rotohammer. A
hammer drill will eventually go through hard aggregate, or burn up the
bit.
A rotohammer will fracture hard aggregate and concrete easily, using
percussion instead of high speed carbide cutting. I have pulled red hot
bits out of concrete with a hammer drill.

Let us know how it goes.

You asked for advice, and that's what I'd buy and why.

Steve

Not sure what you mean about Hilti and bits? Most every Hilti rotary
hammer of remotely recent vintage uses SDS or SDS plus bits.

You can use top of the line Hilti bits that will outlast you, or you can
use cheapo SDS bits from Depot or Lowe's that might last a couple
projects.

You can use a top of the line Hilti rotary hammer that will outlast you,
or you can use a cheapo rotary hammer from Harbor Freight that might
last a couple projects.

In between the extremes there are midrange bits and drills that are
probably the best bet for the average user. Hilti if you make your
living from it, Harbor Freight if it's a one time project and Bosch,
Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt for in between.

Pete C.

In current English, EXACT -a - mundo.

Steve ;-)