Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow Throwers

I'm planning to buy a new Snow Thrower and I'd like to know your
experience and advice.

I have narrowed it down to a few models at three stores, Lowes, Home
Depot and Sears.

I like the smaller and lighter single stage units and they clean right
down to the sidewalk (the auger directly contacts the surface). The
larger and heavy two-stage throwers leave a layer of snow on the
sidewalks which then has to be shoveled, which is double the work.
Typical snowfall here is 6 to 9 inches and every few years we get a big
storm that drops 3 feet of snow.

What's your experience and advice on snow throwers?

The models I like in order a
Sears Craftsman 5.0 hp Single Stage $449.99
Lowes Troy-Bilt® 5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $459.00
Home Depot Yard Machines 5.5 HP Single Stage $399.00
Lowes MTD 5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $378.00
Home Depot Toro 2450 CCR $649.00

The Sears model is at www.sears.com at:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BV Cookie=Yes

The Lowes models at www.lowes.com are at:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...050&lpage=none

and
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...002&lpage=none

The links at www.homedepot.com won't work when posted so you have to
go to the main page and type "snow throwers" in the search box if you
want to look at them.

If the links don't work, here are some details:

Sears Craftsman is Sears item #07188150000 Mfr. model #88150000
5.0 HP Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle engine Single Stage Snow Thrower,
Price: $449.99, with Electric start, No mixing gas and oil, 22 In.
clearing width, 12 ˝ inch intake height, 190 degree remote chute
rotation, 92 Lbs.

Lowes Troy-Bilt® is Item #: 96050 Model: 96050
5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $459.00 with Electric start,
4 cycle engine, No mixing gas & oil, 21 In. clearing width, manual
chute rotation, 82 lbs.

Home Depot Yard Machines Model 31AS231-729
5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $399.00 with Electric start,
requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 21 In. clearing width, 11 In. intake height,
Auger/Clutch control system eliminates restarts, 180 degree manual
chute rotation, Folding handle for easy storage, 78 Lbs.

Lowes MTD Item #: 96002 Model: 96002
5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price $378.00, requires Gas & Oil
Mixing,
21 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 67 lbs.

Home Depot Toro Model 38516
141 cc Toro R*Tek® 5 HP engine, 2450 CCR Single Stage Snow Thrower,
Price: $649.00 with Electric start, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 20 In.
clearing width, manual chute rotation, 71lbs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any reason you want a single stage? For the $649 you're contemplating
on that toro, I got a craftsman 2 stage, elec. start, 6 forward/2
reverse speeds, it beats the hell out of any single stage snowblower I
ever had, and I've had a few.. I'd say don't get one if you have a lot
of heavy snow.. They're fine for a few inches of dust, but a foot of
heavy northern wisconsin snow will make em choke..

Posted to alt.home.repair

mfreak wrote:
Any reason you want a single stage? For the $649 you're contemplating
on that toro, I got a craftsman 2 stage, elec. start, 6 forward/2
reverse speeds, it beats the hell out of any single stage snowblower I
ever had, and I've had a few.. I'd say don't get one if you have a lot
of heavy snow.. They're fine for a few inches of dust, but a foot of
heavy northern wisconsin snow will make em choke.

I agree,

once the snow is "heavy" the single stage stops working. Its nice for
three-four inches of light fluffy snow .

For $550 you can get a two stage snowthrower at Wal-mart that will do a
much better job in all snow conditions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

H-O-N-D-A Hondas are well built and they will last a lifetime. The
rubber blades wiil handle even the lightest to the heaviest of snow
falls. I have used my Honda for the past 20 years in some heavy NJ
storms. I would buy another one tomorrow if this one dies, simple
design makes this Honda a "single stage one of a kind reliable
machine". I suggest stepping up to the two stage models on the
manufacturers you are considering, you won't regret it. Do check out a
Honda.

wrote:
mfreak wrote:
Any reason you want a single stage? For the $649 you're contemplating
on that toro, I got a craftsman 2 stage, elec. start, 6 forward/2
reverse speeds, it beats the hell out of any single stage snowblower I
ever had, and I've had a few.. I'd say don't get one if you have a lot
of heavy snow.. They're fine for a few inches of dust, but a foot of
heavy northern wisconsin snow will make em choke.

I agree,

once the snow is "heavy" the single stage stops working. Its nice for
three-four inches of light fluffy snow .

For $550 you can get a two stage snowthrower at Wal-mart that will do a
much better job in all snow conditions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 12 Dec 2006 13:38:14 -0800, "marybeth" wrote:

[...]

None of those machines will clear the packed snow at the end of the driveway
from the plows going by. During the average snow storm around here, those plows
go by and re-pack the end of everybody's driveways about 4-6 times. Do yourself
a BIG favor and get yourself a nice Ariens 2-stage with at least 7.5 hp. I'm
completely serious. If set up properly, a 2-Stage machine will hardly leave any
snow on pavement. You won't be shoveling twice. What's left could be swept with
a stiff broom in minutes if you really need it to be that clean. During actual
snow storms, snow gets blown around anyway. Your single stage may get the walk
"slightly" cleaner, but that will only last until the next gust of wind.

I had both a single stage and a 2-stage. I finally gave the single stage away to
someone who really needed it, because I hadn't bothered with it at all for 2
winters.

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

These are kickass products even if they are JAP.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/sno.asp

--
Steve Barker

"marybeth" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who
stated:

These are kickass products even if they are JAP.

JAP quit production in 1945, when they were taken over by Villiers.
SWEET motorcycles, though:
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/jap.htm

For snowblowers, I can heartily recommend Toros. I had one that kept
up really well in town and for three or four years after moving out
into the sub-suburban area I'm in now. Then we had a REAL snowfall so
THIS is what removes our snow now:

http://tinyurl.com/yyavo5 (It's actually 42")

Get the Toro.
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato

Posted to alt.home.repair

seems you misunderstood.

--
Steve Barker

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
JAP quit production in 1945, when they were taken over by Villiers.
SWEET motorcycles, though:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who
stated:

seems you misunderstood.

Understood EXACTLY.
--
pooder's postulate: "All threads in r.m.h lead inevitably to drinking."
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Don't buy your snowblower from a big box store. Go to a garden equipment
supplier. I have an 8 hp Airens 2 stage. It clears 2 feet of heavy wet snow
in one take. The specialty supplier will set it up, probably deliver at no
charge and teach you how to operate it and be there if you have problems or
need maintenance. The big box store will not do any of that and just tell
you to take it (as if you could carry it) to a repair shop.

"marybeth" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marybeth" wrote in message

What's your experience and advice on snow throwers?

The ones you are looking at are just above the toy category. If you have a
20' long driveway, it will do. If you have serious snow, you can do better.
Much better. Two stage is far superior and does not leave the residue you
speak of. They may be sufficient if you have a small area. They are
definitely better than a shovel.

Go to a real outdoor equipment store, not the stores you are looking at, if
you are serious. These models won't easily remove the plowed snow left by
the town trucks. I recall clearing my entire driveway with a single stage
in 15 minutes, then spending 30 to 45 minutes trying to do the last couple
of feet.

The electric start is nice to have though. My next one will have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"marybeth" wrote in message

What's your experience and advice on snow throwers?

The ones you are looking at are just above the toy category. If you have a
20' long driveway, it will do. If you have serious snow, you can do better.
Much better. Two stage is far superior and does not leave the residue you
speak of. They may be sufficient if you have a small area. They are
definitely better than a shovel.

Go to a real outdoor equipment store, not the stores you are looking at, if
you are serious. These models won't easily remove the plowed snow left by
the town trucks. I recall clearing my entire driveway with a single stage
in 15 minutes, then spending 30 to 45 minutes trying to do the last couple
of feet.

The electric start is nice to have though. My next one will have it.

I am sorta shopping to replace my off-brand 2 sstage 5 hp.
Requirements a

2 stage
Minimum 6.5 hp
Powered chute rotation.
Electric start? Haven't decided. Sounds good but I somehow see being
caught with a dead machine out in the state's plow berm and a dead
battery.
Track drive? - Dunno. I don't like the horseing around needed to get
it into the shed.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
Electric start? Haven't decided. Sounds good but I somehow see being
caught with a dead machine out in the state's plow berm and a dead
battery.

Some electric starts are 120V with an extension cord in the garage. You
still have the option of a pull start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Honda 4 cycle 6.5 HP single stage. It is fantastic. Light
and easy to use during 90% of the time. If we get 2' it is harder as
that is over the top of the machine, but it still throws the hell out
of it. That only happens once every few years at best. I live on a
busy road and get a lot of crap at the end of the driveway. This thing
handles it with no problems at all. Nice and quiet. I didn't get the
electric start as it is a Honda and I only have to pull a maximum of 2
times at the start of the year and only one pull during the season. It
is a great machine.

marybeth wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marybeth" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning to buy a new Snow Thrower and I'd like to know your
experience and advice.

I have narrowed it down to a few models at three stores, Lowes, Home
Depot and Sears.
==========================

Why have you narrowed it down to three dealers who can't give you the type
of service you'll need in the future? Do you know how to maintain these
things yourself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:09:38 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Don't buy your snowblower from a big box store. Go to a garden equipment
supplier. I have an 8 hp Airens 2 stage. It clears 2 feet of heavy wet
snow
in one take. The specialty supplier will set it up, probably deliver at no
charge and teach you how to operate it and be there if you have problems
or
need maintenance. The big box store will not do any of that and just tell
you to take it (as if you could carry it) to a repair shop.

And the pricing is surprisingly similar. I picked out the Ariens I liked
by
comparing features on their website. It was a year when Home Depot was
carrying
the brand as well. I went to my local tractor store and got the same
machine for
the same price as Home Depot. I didn't have to negotiate that price
either. That
was their normal price. The big difference is that the tractor store
carries
Ariens EVERY year, and has mechanics that go to Ariens training seminars,
so
parts and service will never be a problem. That's good, because Ariens
have a
reputation for last 30+ years. Home Depot and Lowes change vendors
constantly,
depending on who they can squeeze the most.

CWM

That pricing thing - it's true for a lot of product categories. I recently
bought a Weber gas grill from a BBQ specialty store. It was ten bucks LESS
than Home Depot, and included any bottle of BBQ sauce or marinade from their
selection, as well as a refrigerator magnet with their phone number on it.
They offered to assemble the thing for free (small grill - would've fit my
vehicle when assembled), but I didn't need the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 06:44:46 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

[...]

*AND* you just supported your local economy by purchasing through the
local supplier. I'm a big fan of buying from local businesses as
opposed to chains and will be checking out some local cabinet
wholesalers when I get ready to replace my kitchen base cabinets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm going to jump in to defend the single stage machines. I owned a
Toro 2 stage first, and switched to a smaller Toro single stage. Here
are the benefits: Small and light to use and store. Throws snow farther
than 2 stage type. 2 stroke engine starts on first pull, even first use
of the year. No crankcase oil to change, just run it dry of fuel and
put it away for the off-season. Not self propelled and does not need to
be. I push it at whatever pace I want. Old 2 stage had it's own speeds.
Usually too slow or fast for the conditions. I mostly drove it in one
direction and had to drag it back manually to make another pass. Small
unit can be used to do driveway, walks, and deck. Fits in trunk of car.
Handles Boston area storms fine. Fist pass down our 40' driveway in 26"
deep snow is slow. After that, you just take half at a time and it
clears to the pavement with no problem. I totally agree with the advice
to buy from a specialty supplier. Big box is not worth the downside of
the money savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:17:28 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Tell me about it! I recently bought a Bosch Vacuum cleaner. I was
about to buy it online, and all of the online stores had it for
roughly the same price. They all had some sort of "deal sweetener"
tacked on, such as a free box of bags, or whatever. Just for the heck
of it, I called a local vacuum cleaner store. Their price was $100
lower for the same unit, and they included 2 boxes of bags, and a
floor attachment for which all the others wanted an extra $39. I
didn't have to wait two weeks for delivery, and if it breaks, I don't
have to pay to ship it back somewhere.

Online and big box stores have learned that most people just assume
they are the cheapest, so they often can sell at list price or even
above, without anyone questioning them. Heck, I've even found that
some grocery items are much cheaper in the smaller package sizes than
they are in the "jumbo family economy size". Consumers have let down
their guard, and retailers are taking full advantage.

CWM

This is why Wal Mart is successful - they've got their customers convinced
that they've always got the best price. Some people are so gullible that
even when they see actual numbers which prove other stores are cheaper, they
don't believe it. Our local newspaper does a sample grocery survey once or
twice a year, taking the same list to Wal Mart and two regular supermarkets.
It's about $100 worth of stuff. Wal Mart has *never* been cheaper than the
two supermarkets for the whole list. Even so, I have a neighbor whose
response to this is "Yeah well ok yeah umm but still...". :-) She can't
stop shopping at Wal Mart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the Sears single stage unit you mentioned and I like it a lot.
It handles snow very well, starts easy, and only takes up a little
space in my garage. Also, I like that it is NOT self propelled. You
can go as fast as you want (or the snow will permit). Sometimes I can
almost run pushing the thing down the sidewalk. Get done faster than
if I were to have a self propelled two-stager. I live 20 miles north
of Detroit and it has been a long time since I've had more snow than
the single stage unit can handle.

If you have a huge snow storm and a single stage blower, you just have
to get out there and start blowing a little earlier (before the snow
gets to be too much to handle).

Two-stagers are nice and have a lot of capability. But, in many places
they are just overkill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message
Electric start? Haven't decided. Sounds good but I somehow see being
caught with a dead machine out in the state's plow berm and a dead
battery.

Some electric starts are 120V with an extension cord in the garage. You
still have the option of a pull start.

Aha. That is the type I will for sure go with.

My current one is an old off-brand that I bought for $50 as a basket
case. Shot motor but I already had a motor that wasn't in use so...
Good machine but small and underpowered for the plow berm. Being on a
state highway, I get 15 to 20 ft of highway snow piled into my drive.

Someone did mention that single stage throws farther. True. I found
that a two stage will throw well but they want to be 'crowded', i.e.,
keep the blower chamber full. Makes for fast clearance up to about 4"
then I have start slowing down to what the motor will pull.

Harry K

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

One other thing that's nice about the single stage blowers are that
they are a lot easier to maneuver and man-handle around. Ligher, not
transmission to deal with for forward and reverse.

My single stage has electric start but I never use it. I guess I can
see an elderly person taking advantage of it though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to first say, how long is my driveway. If its between 20' to
50' and something like 20' wide a good single stage snowblower will
work ok.

I am not a big fan of sears stuff myself. If you can find a good deal
on a Honda HS520 (hs520as (electric start)) that unit will keep up just
fine with (and probably beat) the el cheapo dual stage cheap units.
Just beware, honda powerequipment is not cheap and neither is their
quality.

If you are going to go with a 2 stage unit I would recommend either a
deere, ariens or toro. Generally they make decent equipment, but most
importantly they make parts years down the road.

If you have a murray (same as mtd, yard machines etc) they were all
made by the same manufacturer (Murray) for Sears, Troy and a few
others. Parts for the older units (between 5 - 10 years old) are
becoming hard to get now that briggs bought them out. Dont believe
me?? Take a look at the www.murray.com and select parts. You'll get a
message like this..

"Recently, Briggs & Stratton purchased some assets from Murray, Inc.
Briggs & Stratton is currently working on migrating these assets (i.e.
parts, accessories, etc.) to our parts numbering system. Unfortunately,
not all Murray parts will be available for sale through Briggs &
Stratton. To purchase Murray Parts:"

While looking for parts for a 5 year old blower I found a message about
older parts having limited availability and stuff from 1996 being no
longer manufactured.

Sort or screws people with older units that might need a minor part.
At least toro, honda and ariens offer parts for machines that are 25
years old. I give them lots of credit for that!

Tom

[...]

snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
OT - Snow Cliff Metalworking 14 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM
Snow throwers - plastic impeller ok? and other questions (LONG) [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 28th 05 03:23 PM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM
Snow throwers- tracks vs. wheels Retiredff Home Ownership 12 August 14th 03 01:09 PM