Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Retiredff

Default Snow throwers- tracks vs. wheels

After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Thanks

Andrew Duane USG

In article et "Retiredff" writes:
After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

I've had both, and I will never use tracks again.

Hard to maneuver, less traction, chains aren't available (although
rarely needed these days). They "seemed" like a good idea, but were
just a fad as far as I can tell.

Look around, do you see many/any snowthrowers with tracks any more?

--

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)
HP/Compaq Corporation

110 Spit Brook Road

M/S ZKO3-3/U14
Nashua, NH 03062-2698 (603)-884-1294

Hell Toupee

Retiredff wrote:

After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Tracked snowblowers are hell to turn. I'd go for a wheeled model, put
chains on the wheels and they'll handle just fine.

HellT
Dave C.

"Retiredff" lbatter wrote in message
nk.net...
After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning

tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Thanks

Having researched snow throwers lately, I can tell you the question you
should be asking is one stage or two? (quick answer: TWO, if you're not
sure)

Only buy a one stage if all of the following is true: Your driveway is
level and smoothly paved, you NEVER get more than 3" of snow, and you never
have to clear plow drifts from the end of your driveway. -Dave

Retiredff

"Andrew Duane USG" wrote in message
In article et

"Retiredff" writes:
After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning

tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

I've had both, and I will never use tracks again.
Look around, do you see many/any snowthrowers with tracks any more?

Actually, yes. Honda and Yardman/MTD. Thanks for the comments.
Maneuverability isn't a problem I've read about.

Retiredff

"Dave C." wrote in message
nk.net...

"Retiredff" lbatter wrote in message
nk.net...
After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning

tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Having researched snow throwers lately, I can tell you the question you
should be asking is one stage or two?

Doesn't need to be asked. It will be a two-stage. 150' driveway, uphill;
parking area large enough for about four cars; then a 50' walk to the
neighbors driveway; and then their 200+ foot driveway. Driveways are gravel.
I will be getting one large enough to take care of this.

Thanks for suggested line of thinking, though.

Retiredff

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
"Retiredff" wrote in message
ink.net...

Driveways are
gravel.
Gravel driveways and snow throwers don't usually go together too well. You
may need to raise the height of the scraper bar so you don't scoop up the
gravel.

Understood. Some makers do say they are usable on gravel, as long as the
skids are adjusted accordingly.

Bob G.

Retiredff wrote:

After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Thanks

===========

I too have owned both types...and like a few other people have mentioned
I will NEVER recommend a tracked snow blower to anyone...especially if
you need to make a "few" turns"....
I am now 60 years old and do not need the aggravation of trying to
muscle a tracked snow blower
around ....

As for gravel and paved? well 90 percent of my drive is paved BUT I
have parking space for
3 cars at the upper end that is gravel..and I just added a quick release
set of "skids" that I toss on the blower to raise the scrapper blade up
an inch or so... takes 2-3 minutes to install them but honestly it is
not a problem... if the driveway was all gravel or all paved I would not
have any problem...

My Ideal snow blower would be voice activated to start, be remote
controlled, powered by a big Block Chevy... I sure do not own my
ideal snowblower...But I can dream ... lol .

Bob Griffiths

Retiredff

"Bob G. " wrote in message

Retiredff wrote:

tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

I too have owned both types...and like a few other people have mentioned
I will NEVER recommend a tracked snow blower to anyone...especially if
you need to make a "few" turns"....

Thanks. Maneuverability seems to be the drawback. I don't need to fight
something that big if that is the inherent drawback. Looks like wheels it
is.

Mike Ekholm

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:30:03 GMT, Retiredff just had to say:
: After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning tracked
: vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Thanks for bringing up the topic.
Soon I will also be looking for a snow blower, this thread has been
very helpful

-Mike Ekholm
--
Mike Ekholm, UNIX Sys Admin -
web:

Steve Wellings

Default Snow throwers- tracks vs. wheels ... vs. 4x4 snowblower??

I personally ended up in the middle. I have a 4 wheeled snowblower.
I couldn't justify the $3500 CAN for a 8hp Honda SnowBlower. I was
warned up front by numerous people that only Honda does tracks "well".
I mentioned to a few that I had noticed in recent years the drop in the
number of companies selling tracked snowblowers. I was told that the
biggest problem was the tracks coming off from man-handling the blowers
to turn them.
I have a few hilly areas around mine and my neighbours' houses that I
do, so the four-wheel drive snowblower was a compromise between tracks
and 2 wheel versions.
It's a Yard-Man (an MTD company). It's 9.5HP. It has two axles like a
regular snowblower, but on each axle is a wheel-truck that pivots on the
axle. A chain drive in the wheel truck housing case delivers power to
the two wheels attached to each case from the main axle. I was a little
concerned about the durability at first, but I've had it for a year now
and I'm very satisfied. It is a BEAR to turn on DRY pavement or in the
garage, but in snow, where you're normally turning it, it's very easy.
Most Yard-Man's have a trigger clutch on each axle, so you can turn it
almost like a tank. The traction is excellent with the 4 small Snow-Hog
tires (no chains nowadays). Sometimes I have to drive it through snow
banks before blowing the snow. I just push down to get the auger
housing up in the air, put it in high gear, drop the hammer, and it will
chew it's way through the snow bank with ease.

Here's a link to the Canadian website for MTD/Yard-Man:

http://www.yardman.ca/yardman/produc...sification=118

Don't see it on the US site (www.yardman.com)...

Anyways, just a "third" option I thought I'd mention... Good Luck!

- Steve

** To reply by e-mail, remove the "nospam" in the address **

Retiredff wrote:
After searching, I could only come up with a few comments concerning tracked
vs. wheeled snow throwers. Any opinions about which is better, and why?

Thanks

Retiredff

"Steve Wellings" wrote in message
I personally ended up in the middle. I have a 4 wheeled snowblower.
so the four-wheel drive snowblower was a compromise between tracks
and 2 wheel versions.
It's a Yard-Man (an MTD company). It's 9.5HP. It has two axles like a
regular snowblower, but on each axle is a wheel-truck that pivots on the
axle.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I appreciate the comments on the 4-wd.
There doesn't seem to be many of those out there, either. MTD will never see
another dollar of mine, so that will be one less I will check out.