Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Snow Throwers

Don't buy your snowblower from a big box store. Go to a garden equipment
supplier. I have an 8 hp Airens 2 stage. It clears 2 feet of heavy wet snow
in one take. The specialty supplier will set it up, probably deliver at no
charge and teach you how to operate it and be there if you have problems or
need maintenance. The big box store will not do any of that and just tell
you to take it (as if you could carry it) to a repair shop.

"marybeth" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning to buy a new Snow Thrower and I'd like to know your
experience and advice.

I have narrowed it down to a few models at three stores, Lowes, Home
Depot and Sears.

I like the smaller and lighter single stage units and they clean right
down to the sidewalk (the auger directly contacts the surface). The
larger and heavy two-stage throwers leave a layer of snow on the
sidewalks which then has to be shoveled, which is double the work.
Typical snowfall here is 6 to 9 inches and every few years we get a big
storm that drops 3 feet of snow.

What's your experience and advice on snow throwers?

The models I like in order a
Sears Craftsman 5.0 hp Single Stage $449.99
Lowes Troy-Bilt® 5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $459.00
Home Depot Yard Machines 5.5 HP Single Stage $399.00
Lowes MTD 5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $378.00
Home Depot Toro 2450 CCR $649.00

The Sears model is at www.sears.com at:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BV Cookie=Yes

The Lowes models at www.lowes.com are at:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...050&lpage=none

and
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...002&lpage=none

The links at www.homedepot.com won't work when posted so you have to
go to the main page and type "snow throwers" in the search box if you
want to look at them.

If the links don't work, here are some details:

Sears Craftsman is Sears item #07188150000 Mfr. model #88150000
5.0 HP Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle engine Single Stage Snow Thrower,
Price: $449.99, with Electric start, No mixing gas and oil, 22 In.
clearing width, 12 ˝ inch intake height, 190 degree remote chute
rotation, 92 Lbs.

Lowes Troy-Bilt® is Item #: 96050 Model: 96050
5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $459.00 with Electric start,
4 cycle engine, No mixing gas & oil, 21 In. clearing width, manual
chute rotation, 82 lbs.

Home Depot Yard Machines Model 31AS231-729
5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $399.00 with Electric start,
requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 21 In. clearing width, 11 In. intake height,
Auger/Clutch control system eliminates restarts, 180 degree manual
chute rotation, Folding handle for easy storage, 78 Lbs.

Lowes MTD Item #: 96002 Model: 96002
5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price $378.00, requires Gas & Oil
Mixing,
21 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 67 lbs.

Home Depot Toro Model 38516
141 cc Toro R*Tek® 5 HP engine, 2450 CCR Single Stage Snow Thrower,
Price: $649.00 with Electric start, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 20 In.
clearing width, manual chute rotation, 71lbs.

Thanks in advance for your help!