Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default Snow Throwers

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 06:44:46 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:09:38 -0500, "EXT" wrote:

Don't buy your snowblower from a big box store. Go to a garden equipment
supplier. I have an 8 hp Airens 2 stage. It clears 2 feet of heavy wet snow
in one take. The specialty supplier will set it up, probably deliver at no
charge and teach you how to operate it and be there if you have problems or
need maintenance. The big box store will not do any of that and just tell
you to take it (as if you could carry it) to a repair shop.

And the pricing is surprisingly similar. I picked out the Ariens I liked by
comparing features on their website. It was a year when Home Depot was carrying
the brand as well. I went to my local tractor store and got the same machine for
the same price as Home Depot. I didn't have to negotiate that price either. That
was their normal price. The big difference is that the tractor store carries
Ariens EVERY year, and has mechanics that go to Ariens training seminars, so
parts and service will never be a problem. That's good, because Ariens have a
reputation for last 30+ years. Home Depot and Lowes change vendors constantly,
depending on who they can squeeze the most.

*AND* you just supported your local economy by purchasing through the
local supplier. I'm a big fan of buying from local businesses as
opposed to chains and will be checking out some local cabinet
wholesalers when I get ready to replace my kitchen base cabinets.