Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Any luck with burrowing MOLES?

Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now
consumiing 1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these
"sonic" mole repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

I've had the same problem over the years and have spoken with several county
extension agents as well as doing a bunch of internet research on the
problem. The consensus is that the sonic mole repellers are a waste of
money. Same thing for fumigating their tunnels and for various spray or
granular mole repellents. If you want to get rid of these critters, the
consensus is that you need to put mole traps on the transit tunnels - the
ones where if you collapse the tunnel, the moles open them up within a day
or two. Anyway, there are several versions of mole traps available at your
local hardware store or via the internet. The traps are "kill" traps, so if
you're squeamish about that kind of thing, you're more or less out of luck.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Hello,

It is the grass that attracts the moles . . . well, no, itis the
insects
that eat the grass roots that attract the moles, so, to get rid of the
moles, you need to plant ground-cover other than common, lawn
grass, or wait until all the grass dies; the moles move on to greener
pastures (your neighbor's lawn), then re-plant (re-sod) your lawn . .
..
Truly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe, here in Indiana moles are a huge problem. We talked to a friend
who is an exterminator. He said you have to eliminate the moles' food
source, which is grubs. We treated the lawn with Grub-X several times,
and it took care of the problem. Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now
consumiing 1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these
"sonic" mole repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

I solved my mole problem by moving. I had a bad grub problem, which caused
my mole problem. 5 miles away I have no grubs!

The sonic things are useless. What worked for me (well, it significantly
reduced the problem) were sulphur bombs. Light em, stickem in the holes,
and then run around plugging all the other holes to keep the gas in. It was
actually quite fun. Do they still make them?

Or try moving. As someone else said, the first thing is to kill your grubs,
but if you neighbors don't, it won't help much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

your problem is a result of grubs in the turf.

unfortunately, you can't doing anything about them until May. I live
in Ohio- a place I buy grub treatment stuff from cautioned me that you
must apply at the correct time, which in my area of NE Ohio is USUALLY
between mid May and Memorial Day.

Check with an expert around then- it depends on how warm and how wet or
dry of a spring you have. There is a time window of when you can
effectively treat for grubs- need to get them as larvae come close
enough to the surface, but before they emerge as adult bugs.

Gid rid of the grubs, and you get rid of moles, skunks etc. looking for
them.

You usually have to treat every 3 years or so. I meant to do it this
spring, but got behind and didn't get it done, and guess what? I also
have mole tunnels all over too. It's probably been 4 years since I
last treated.

also, if you have enough grubs, your turf will also develop large brown
dead spots.

i'm not totally sure, but i think the name of the stuff is trilox or
something like that.

If you live in a somewhat rural area, as i do, go to a grain elevator
and buy a 30# or 40# bag. I found it's cheaper to buy it there than at
the hardware store or Lowes etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote:

Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE?

http://www.rodenator.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:29:10 GMT, "Joe"
wrote:

Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Reading this thread, I want to comment.
First off, the traps are useless as far as my experience with them.
I did find a mole in the process of digging in my garden. A manure
fork finished him off. I was just lucky to hit him dead on.

As far as the grubs, I dont doubt it, but I do question it because I
am a farmer and have a terrible problem with moles. I have horses, and
live in a hilly area. When there are heavy rains after a dry spell,
the dried (almost powder) horse manure tends to run down the hills and
forms a thick layer where it stops at the botom of the hill. It's a
great fertilizer, but it also seems to be the places where the moles
do most of their digging. The manure/soil is soft and that is what
they seem to like. If there are grubs in there, it is not evident,
the grass grows like wild from all that natural fertilizer.

I also have a manure pile, and the moles are terrible in and near
that.....

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now
consumiing 1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these
"sonic" mole repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

www.rodenator.com is your answer. Go there and view the videos.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sparky" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote:

Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE?

http://www.rodenator.com/

GMTA, Sparky.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" writes:

Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Spear traps seem to get it done. Moles were a common nuissance where
I was growing up.

If you see one burrowing, my grandpa advised my mother, "get behind
it with a space, pop it up and hit it on the head."

My mother is in her 70's and delighted in telling me that last week,
this advise of her father's came in handy and she caught a mole and
took care of him in this exact fashion a few days ago.

Also I seem to recall something aobut moles getting pretty
disinterested if there weren't bugs to eat. I could be wrong about
that, but perhaps you'll find that Diazonon will eliminate the reason
the moles are attracted to your yard. I think they prefer to feast
on grubs, so if you get rid of the grubs, the moles will go
elswewhere.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The notion that getting rid of grubs will automatically get rid of
moles is a myth. I too have had problems with moles and definitely do
not have a grub problem. I've removed sample sections of turf and
found no grubs. Nor do I have any beetles around in summer. Moles
like many animals, eat a wide variety of foods, one of which is grubs.
So, eliminating grubs can be a step in the right direction, but even
with no grubs, the moles can persist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

well, it may tick off your neighbors as it just makes them move to a
new hole.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Joe wrote:
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Little wine, and flowers, I always get lucky with moles.

As for sonic repellers, I've heard nothing positive about them, other
than from those who sell them.

Try reducing the moles food sources and use chemical/herbal
repellents. This should make your neighbor's lawns more desireable.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Get a cat. Fun for the cat, amusing for the people, not so much fun for
the moles. My once-feral 15-year-old was a mole terror for several
years, then they disappeared. He either wiped them out, or they fled
and now scare their offspring with tales of "the clawed reaper". He is
also great and keeping the bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks, and racoons
far, far away from the house. Not so great with the deer, wild turkeys,
and one very fat groundhog, but hey, he only weighs 9 pounds.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair

years ago I heard a guy on the radio swear that the following will work. i
have tried it, but can't swear that it worked.

take some Juicyfruit chewing gum (it must be Juicyfruit, unchewed of course)
and shove it into the tunnels with a stick. don't touch the gum with your
bare hands as moles can smell your scent.

IIRC, the moles will eat the chewing gum and will be unable to digest it.
they will die from the undigested chewing gum.

it may not work, but it won't cost much to find out.

good luch...
"Joe" wrote in message
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by a
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic" mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Getting rid of moles list...

-Dynamite.
-Wait patiently near mole hole with shotgun.
-Run exhaust from car/truck/lawn mower into mole hole. (Be careful that
these holes/tunnels do not go to under your or neighbors house.)
-Place poison gas cartridge in hole.
-Ex-lax.
-Moth balls.
-Chewing gum.
-Bubble Gum. (Moles blow bubbles, when it pops they go crazy and wander off
trying to lick it off their whiskers.)
-Mole traps.
-Mouse traps.
-Drowning with water.
-Castor oil.
-Castor beans.
-Castor bean seed.
-3 oz. of castor oil, 3 tablespoons liquid detergent, 8 tablespoons of
water. Blend till frothy, spray yard.
-Plant pepper spurge around the perimeter of your yard.
-Cat litter in holes.
-Sprinkle Drano in the tunnel.
-Mole barrier 16 to 18 inches into the soil, and about eight inches above it
surrounding your property.
-Place two "jam jars" back to back in mole tunnel, then cover.
-Place human hair in tunnel. (Causes moles to inflict self wounds - moles
allergic to human hair - Since they can't make their blood clot they bleed
to death.)
-Ultrasonic devices.
-Sonic torpedoes.
-Solar moler http://www.clearsolar.com/
-Electrical vibrators or plastic windmills which send slight tremors through
the ground.
-Border your yard with pinwheels.
-Lay a thorny limb in the hole then cover the hole.
-Place crushed glass in tunnel.
(The idea of sharp objects is that moles are said to be hemophiliacs and if
they cut themselves, they will bleed to death.)
-Use fresh human urine on mounds.
-Treating the soil with "milky spore disease" to kill grubs. (Said to kill
food supply.)
-Get a cat that likes to hunt small animals.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Bill wrote:
[...]

Name the mole Ahmed, then call the CIA and tell them you've found a
mole named Ahmed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Bill wrote:
[...]

Have an exterminator come and bill it to your health plan as "Removal
of a suspicious looking mole".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill wrote:
[...]

Make the mole wear a Jewish Star and invite some arab friends over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Sep 2006 14:22:36 -0700, wrote:

Isn't it possible that the reason the moles are in the area of the
manure is because of the presence of maggots?

There are no maggots in manure.....
And this manure is already broken down (composted). Its just soil
now. A very light and easy to dig soil though.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

i killed 112 in 3 years . i use traps and sometimes sneek up with
shovel. sizzor traps and nash traps work very well. it takes some use
to learn how to set for best results. the spike traps work also,but not
as well.hardware stores have em or gemplers.com , or ebay auctions. to
start,i walk the tunnels down and then check to see new tunnel to find
where they are at, and set there,and sneek out with shovel a few times a
day to catch them digging. .....when i get a mole pushing up huge dirt
mound , i level it off, then remove enough dirt to make it like a bowl.
i then pour 50/50 bleach and water galon on the bowl,it will swirl down
the hole and kill the mole or make him run out or run away..at any
rate,they are done with that location,,keep on if he moves to new mound
with the bleech, use it straight if you want... if you dont have the
hunting instinc its going to be hard to get em....lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, if you feed em carrots and celery and stuff, you might have a
LOT of luck. I'm sure some people out there consider moles lucky. I
think it's the India folks consider cows lucky.

I can't explain why you want lucky moles, but then maybe this is a
diverse culture area? Me, I'd want to be rid of the silly things. Not
to have good luck with them. Are you Irish, lad?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Joe" wrote in message
Recently I noticed what looks like burrows in my back yard possibly by
MOLE? What started out in an area of approx. 100 sq ft, is now
consumiing
1/3 of my backyard. I did a search and came up with these "sonic"
mole
repellers that I'll try. Any experience out there? TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get rid of their food supply and they will leave, a toxic way that kills
all insects is a grub killer , a non toxic way is Milky Spore, I believe
they are spores that only attack grubs but keep beneficial insects
alive, a great product in todays over chemicaled society.