Default Source for O6 tooling steel? (no luck so far)

I checked two major steel suppliers in my area (Southern California),
no luck on finding tooling steel (besides O1, A1). Any online
suppliers (I've checked a few with now luck) have this metal that will
also do a small orders? 1" to 2" inch solid cylinder pieces is what I
am looking for. Or maybe can someone recommend a tool/die shop that
will handle/supply a small order (assuming they have o6)

I'm interested in O6 because it seems to have a large difference in its
hardness between relaxed and hardenned states (roughly 40 - 58 rockwell
hardness if memeory serves me). Anyone have any experience with this
(using the soft state to impression, then harden to final use)

Thanks

Robin S.

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm interested in O6 because it seems to have a large difference in its
hardness between relaxed and hardenned states (roughly 40 - 58 rockwell
hardness if memeory serves me). Anyone have any experience with this
(using the soft state to impression, then harden to final use)

Just a thought, you should perhaps talk to someone in a coin die shop. I
believe high production coining dies are all struck from the same master and
destroyed (and replaced) as they wear out.

Further, you should consult a local tool steel supplier. A vendor like
Uddeholm (http://www.uddeholm.com/), Crucible
(http://www.crucibleservice.com/), Carpenter (http://www.cartech.com), etc.
should have good suggestions on what to use for your application. They'll
also know how to heat-treat your steel...

Regards,

Robin

Mark Mossberg

John,

I've only machined 06, I've never tried to cold work it. Machines
beautifully, I think it has graphite in it. It also has very low distortion,
in thin sections, when heat treated.

I think you'll find taht most tool steels, especially A1, have a tendancy to
work harden when worked cold.

What type of material are you trying to take an impression from ?? The
surface area of a 1" circle is going to take one hell of a whack to impress.

Regards

Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
I checked two major steel suppliers in my area (Southern California),
no luck on finding tooling steel (besides O1, A1). Any online
suppliers (I've checked a few with now luck) have this metal that will
also do a small orders? 1" to 2" inch solid cylinder pieces is what I
am looking for. Or maybe can someone recommend a tool/die shop that
will handle/supply a small order (assuming they have o6)

I'm interested in O6 because it seems to have a large difference in its
hardness between relaxed and hardenned states (roughly 40 - 58 rockwell
hardness if memeory serves me). Anyone have any experience with this
(using the soft state to impression, then harden to final use)

Thanks

Richard J Kinch

Any online
suppliers (I've checked a few with now luck) have this metal that will
also do a small orders? 1" to 2" inch solid cylinder pieces is what I
am looking for.

I have some pieces of A-2, D-2, O-2, and S-1 for sale on my surplus page:

http://www.truetex.com/metals.htm#ts

lionslair at consolidated dot net

I checked two major steel suppliers in my area (Southern California),
no luck on finding tooling steel (besides O1, A1). Any online
suppliers (I've checked a few with now luck) have this metal that will
also do a small orders? 1" to 2" inch solid cylinder pieces is what I
am looking for. Or maybe can someone recommend a tool/die shop that
will handle/supply a small order (assuming they have o6)

I'm interested in O6 because it seems to have a large difference in its
hardness between relaxed and hardenned states (roughly 40 - 58 rockwell
hardness if memeory serves me). Anyone have any experience with this
(using the soft state to impression, then harden to final use)

Thanks

http://www.cencogrinding.com/

These are makers of very high quality drill blanks so Latrobe (sp) and others
can make drills...

I have had custom sizes made for my needs several years ago.
The M2 and M42 is machinable and then hardens upon heating.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Summerville Steel
Santa Fe Springs Calif
800-826-5093

They stock O-6 in 1/2 to 2.5 inch thicknesses And all sorts of other
tool steels.

Dan