Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall screws

For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the nail
or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with drywall
screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or through
the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique than a
weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging in by
controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to the flush
point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against the studs. I
almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's tendency to punch through
the paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the
studs. I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap
out of the nail or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes
a problem with drywall screws is their tendency to push through the
paper and dig into or through the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique
than a weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging
in by controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to
the flush point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against
the studs. I almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's
tendency to punch through the paper.

You can get attachments that will do it for you or buy a special dry
wall tool that will even feed the screws for you. However it sounds like
you don't do enough to make either worth while, maybe you can rent on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the nail
or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with drywall
screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or through
the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique than a
weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging in by
controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to the flush
point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against the studs. I
almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's tendency to punch through
the paper.

This is one of those places where a cheap tool replaces a lot of trial
and error. Try one of these:

http://www.vermontamerican.com/produ...191451&I=72221

and your tear-through problems should be a thing of the past. There are
even cheaper tools which seem similar but this one has the advantage of
a clutch which releases when the screw head is at the right depth making
errors nearly impossible.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 13:25:54 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the nail
or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with drywall
screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or through
the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique than a
weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging in by
controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to the flush
point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against the studs. I
almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's tendency to punch through
the paper.

With a little practice you'll get the proper depth. They need to
outlaw nails in drywall due to nail pops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

God, are you guys telling me that this time it ISN'T necessarily my poor
technique? Hang on a sec I think I stepped into an alternate dimension...

No I'm not a drywall hanger, this is just you know those onesy twosy things
that homeowners have to do - but that there was tool to do this never
entered my mind. Thanks that makes me feel a lot better.

Since I won't be doing this all that much it's probably best for me to just
learn how to do it without the tool, no need to spend money on yet another
tool I'll only use once in a blue moon - although that VA tool is looking
pretty nifty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use drywall screws for LOTS of things. I would think this tool would
be generally useful.. Has anybody used it on say, something like
attaching thin plywood to studs, etc.??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Sep 2006 14:47:19 -0700, "professorpaul"
wrote:

I use drywall screws for LOTS of things. I would think this tool would
be generally useful.. Has anybody used it on say, something like
attaching thin plywood to studs, etc.??

Drywall screws are weak and brittle for work other than drywall. With
most of them Made in China or Taiwan the quality is even worse. Wood
screws are stronger than drywall screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the cheapest way is a screw deapth adjuster, the kind that mount to a
drill are pricey, ,but there are some cheap versions that just have a
1/4 hex shank like a bit and run a couple $.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Eigenvector wrote:
For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the nail
or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with drywall
screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or through
the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique than a
weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging in by
controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to the flush
point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against the studs. I
almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's tendency to punch through
the paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the
nail or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with
drywall screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or
through the drywall.

There are actual drywall screwdrivers that look and act much like a drill
with a screwdriver bit, the only real difference is that to engage the chuck
on a drywall screwdriver, one must push on the unit. Let go & it stops
spinning the screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
I use drywall screws for LOTS of things. I would think this tool would
be generally useful.. Has anybody used it on say, something like
attaching thin plywood to studs, etc.??

Probably not much good for anything besides drywall. Normally one is not
screwing down material which is so delicate as the paper layer on
drywall and close enough is, well, close enough. But it sure makes life
a lot easier for a klutz like me when doing a remodel. Not nearly so
clever as one of the screw shooter guns that the pros use but at
something like $200 cheaper this little gadget chucked up in my DeWalt
cordless is close to a miracle.

But as someone else posted, drywall screws are really terrible for
general purpose use and almost anything else would do a better job and
be stronger.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

This is one of those places where a cheap tool replaces a lot of trial
and error. Try one of these:

http://www.vermontamerican.com/produ...191451&I=72221

and your tear-through problems should be a thing of the past.

No I'm not a drywall hanger, this is just you know those onesy twosy
things that homeowners have to do - but that there was tool to do this
never entered my mind. Thanks that makes me feel a lot better.

Since I won't be doing this all that much it's probably best for me to
just learn how to do it without the tool, no need to spend money on yet
another tool I'll only use once in a blue moon - although that VA tool is
looking pretty nifty.

Can you come up with two bucks:
http://www3.shopping.com/xPF-Vermont...Dry_Scr_Setter

Posted to alt.home.repair

A drywall screw gun is worth the expense. I picked up a Dewalt model
from HD for around $75. It never once ripped the paper. You set the
depth to set the screw, hit the button, and it's done.

It is also very effective at driving a screw through your finger, which
hurts a lot.

-rev

Eigenvector wrote:
For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the nail
or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with drywall
screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or through
the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique than a
weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging in by
controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to the flush
point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against the studs. I
almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's tendency to punch through
the paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

another consideration, in addition to those already listed, drywall screws
are available with fine threads and coarse threads

seems the fine thread ones offer more reaction time than the coarse thread
ones to stop the drill or whatever your installing them with, so using fine
thread screws might help

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nowforsale" wrote in message
another consideration, in addition to those already listed, drywall screws
are available with fine threads and coarse threads

seems the fine thread ones offer more reaction time than the coarse thread
ones to stop the drill or whatever your installing them with, so using
fine thread screws might help

Fine thread drywall screws are for commercial use, because the buildings are
usually made with thin steel beams as the studs. Coarse thread screws are
for household use, because homes are made of wood studs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M." wrote in message

Fine thread drywall screws are for commercial use, because the buildings
are usually made with thin steel beams as the studs. Coarse thread screws
are for household use, because homes are made of wood studs.

Sound logical, but what do you use when metal studs are used in a house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" writes:

God, are you guys telling me that this time it ISN'T necessarily my poor
technique? Hang on a sec I think I stepped into an alternate dimension...

It is YOUR poor technique -- it is just that the industry has come up
with a tool to help people with poor technique due a quality job.

As long as you have the feel for it, I have never had a problem
driving drywall screws perfectly with a cordless screwdriver.

My god, it's not rocket science! just go as slow as you need to make
sure it goes in only the right depth.

Now driving them right takes time since you can't just slam them in
which is why professionals use screw guns -- so they can go full speed
with auto-loading and still get it right.