Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall screws

For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the studs.
I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap out of the nail
or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes a problem with drywall
screws is their tendency to push through the paper and dig into or through
the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique than a
weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging in by
controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to the flush
point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against the studs. I
almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's tendency to punch through
the paper.