Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Drywall screws

Eigenvector wrote:
For now I prefer using drywall screws for securing drywall to the
studs. I'm not proficient enough with a hammer to not beat the crap
out of the nail or drywall. But the only thing I've seen that causes
a problem with drywall screws is their tendency to push through the
paper and dig into or through the drywall.

I guess my question, is this more of a matter of practice/technique
than a weakness of using screws? I can usually minimize the digging
in by controlling how fast the screw is inserted as I get closer to
the flush point, but that doesn't press the drywall tightly against
the studs. I almost want to use a washer to halt the screw's
tendency to punch through the paper.

You can get attachments that will do it for you or buy a special dry
wall tool that will even feed the screws for you. However it sounds like
you don't do enough to make either worth while, maybe you can rent on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit