Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall screw anchors

I sent this before but it did not show up so I am sending it again.

I like to use ribbed plastic screw anchors to hold screws in drywall
for light duty use. My problem is that they never come with ANY
instructions so I always have to guess what size of drill to use and
what size of screw anchor to use.

The plastic screw anchors I have come in four sizes, each a
different color. From smallest to largest they are gray, red,
green, and yellow. I use mostly drywall screws because they are
inexpensive and easy to drive with a cordless drill. Drywall screws
are number six when they are two inches long or shorter.
Two-and-a-half inch, and up, are number eight.

I have been using the red plastic screw anchors with the number six
screws and the green ones with number eight screws. Are those the
correct sizes?

What sizes of drill bits should I use for each size of plastic screw
anchor? What size of plastic screw anchor should I use with each
size of screw?
--
Never ever let your brain explode. It's VERY bad for you and
it leaves a terrible mess for someone to clean up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote in
:

[...]

Pretty much the two standard one are 3/16 & 1/4" hole. All others I just
start a bit small. If I can't push it all the way in with just a snug
resistance, I go bigger. If it's critical and don't want to chance
getting the hole too big, I just do it in some scrap dryall. Every
homeowner has scrap drywall around right? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
I sent this before but it did not show up so I am sending it again.

Yes it did. The second, repeat post was a response to one of the
replies.

Drywall screw anchors Daniel Prince Home Repair 6 September 9th 06 12:01 AM
Wrong screw dilemma! Helen Mayson UK diy 27 March 30th 06 07:11 PM
Is screw too soft ? pogo Metalworking 13 March 6th 06 07:42 PM
Joining New Drywall to Old: Advice??? [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 29th 06 05:31 PM
Alternatives to drywall anchors? Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Home Repair 11 December 7th 05 07:35 PM