Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Alternatives to drywall anchors?

I used plastic drywall anchors to mount a towel ring to the bathroom
wall. The anchors have pulled out of the wall.

I've used toggle bolts in the past, but they require pretty large
holes, and the holes for this particular mounting are only about an
inch apart.

Suggestions?

All we have in my town is a crappy Menard's with untrained staff. We
don't get any of that "How can I help you with your project" that we
used to get at the home stores in bigger cities.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
I used plastic drywall anchors to mount a towel ring to the bathroom
wall. The anchors have pulled out of the wall.

I've used toggle bolts in the past, but they require pretty large
holes, and the holes for this particular mounting are only about an
inch apart.

Suggestions?

I assume you used the basic cone-shaped anchors, right? In between those and
toggle bolts is a middle solution: Somewhat fancier plastic anchors with
"wings", sort of. Go to www.homedepot.com and search for this item number:
169103

These things don't need a hole quite as large as you'd make for metal
toggles. Might be a good solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
I used plastic drywall anchors to mount a towel ring to the bathroom
wall. The anchors have pulled out of the wall.

I've used toggle bolts in the past, but they require pretty large
holes, and the holes for this particular mounting are only about an
inch apart.

Suggestions?

All we have in my town is a crappy Menard's with untrained staff. We
don't get any of that "How can I help you with your project" that we
used to get at the home stores in bigger cities.

http://www.itwbrands.com/brand_details.aspx?brandID=1

I switched over to these several years ago. They work well for me. More
expensive that plastic anchors. I have had less problems with them. They are
available in pot metal and plastic in different sizes for the weight
supported.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever your final "fix" you might want to patch (& tape) the holes
first, so you have some tiny amount of structural integrity for the
kludges you insert. The screw-in plastic/pot-metal inserts are
potentially much stronger than the cheapo plastic anchors.

Going forward, understand that the wallboard has little strength- it's
in the framing. Learn how to find the studs and anchor stuff to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

strip of wood you can span and fasten to two studs and mount the ring
onto that.

Yeah, that may be the way to go. The towel ring is located centered
between the two mirrors, and there's no stud. The mirrors themselves
are mounted to the nearest studs.

Thanks for the replies!
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I used plastic drywall anchors to mount a towel ring to the bathroom
wall. The anchors have pulled out of the wall.

I've used toggle bolts in the past, but they require pretty large
holes, and the holes for this particular mounting are only about an
inch apart.

Suggestions?

All we have in my town is a crappy Menard's with untrained staff. We
don't get any of that "How can I help you with your project" that we
used to get at the home stores in bigger cities.
I've used the "Self Drilling Drywall Anchors" myself with pretty good success. I find them much better than the more "traditional" anchors - they look like big palstic screws. There's also a version that has a toggle built into them which is much smaller than the more traditional toggle bolt. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...s/740314_3.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
I used plastic drywall anchors to mount a towel ring to the bathroom
wall. The anchors have pulled out of the wall.

I've used toggle bolts in the past, but they require pretty large
holes, and the holes for this particular mounting are only about an
inch apart.

Suggestions?

All we have in my town is a crappy Menard's with untrained staff. We
don't get any of that "How can I help you with your project" that we
used to get at the home stores in bigger cities.

I routinely use 1 1/8" X 2 or 3" toggle and one plastic anchor per towel
ring/bar bracket. The plastic anchor has little or no holding power but
adds stability from twisting. You should never install 2 toggles that
close together. Cause you have turned your wall into Swiss cheese. The 1/8"
wing only requires about 5/16" hole.

In 19 years I have never had a call-back because of failure.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
wannabe

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Unless you handle the towels on that ring with kid gloves, I wouldn't
trust any fasteners through drywall alone to last very long without
loosening. The typical user tugging on the towels will probably wiggle
them loose.

Jeff

I agree, it would be easier to cut a section of drywall out, install
a 2x and be done with it forever and ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"wannabe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Unless you handle the towels on that ring with kid gloves, I wouldn't
trust any fasteners through drywall alone to last very long without
loosening. The typical user tugging on the towels will probably wiggle
them loose.

Jeff

I agree, it would be easier to cut a section of drywall out, install
a 2x and be done with it forever and ever.

He could find someone with a router to put some sort of decorative edge
around a 1-by whatever size wood is right, mount it on the outside, spanning
between the beams, and put a couple of other hooks on it for....whatever, in
addition to the towels.