Peter De Smidt

Default Drywall over cracked plaster?

Hi, I have some cracked plaster ceilings in the upstairs of my 100 year
old house. Some of these cracks were made worse when the house was
re-roofed recently. The ceilings are 7.5 ft high. I'd like to put
drywall up on the ceiling over the plaster. I'm a little worried about
screwing drywall screws, or perhaps Spax screws, up though the plaster
into the joists, mainly because I'm afraid that plaster dust or small
chunks might keep the drywall from pulling up tightly, or, in a worst
case scenario, the pieces would cause indents in the drywall. I've been
thinking of screwing furring strips to the bottom of the plaster
ceiling, making sure that the screws go into the studs. Then I put rigid
insulation between the furing strips. Finally, I screw the drywall into
the furring strips. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Any thoughts
and/or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Peter De Smidt
FdL, WI
Duane Bozarth

Peter De Smidt wrote:

[...]

If the plaster is basically still sound with just a few cracks, I'd
repair it (it just goes with the age of the house, primarily and I like
keeping as much original as possible)...

If you're determined, your plan will work if it's basically sound...if
not, it's likely to come down while your doing that (adding the furring
strips) anyway...
Tom

Peter wrote: Hi, I have some cracked plaster ceilings in the upstairs of my
[...]

Just screw it up tight to the plaster, and it'll be fine. Nobody will notice
any slight imperfections. And if they're quite bad, all you've gotta do is run
a drywall knife over the imperfection, then hit it with a little mud... Tom
Work at your leisure!
m Ransley

If the plaster is basicly sound but loose in a few areas consider
removing bad areas and repairing. But if it is wavy and bad removing a
few low spots and drywall should do it. Get a pro out for help, we cant
see it from here.