Joseph Meehan

Default overlaying drywall over plaster ceiling

Frankly I suggest doing a complete tear out. It is a dirty nasty job,
but you will feel a lot better when you are done. BTW the studs may not be
as even and straight as you think so you may need to do some shimming to get
the walls and ceiling really flat and looking good.

It will also give you a chance to get in there and check wiring,
plumbing, insulation, duct work etc. that might be or should be in there.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Mickey" wrote in message
m...
I am working on an older home where the white and brown coat of
plaster are very bouncy. I am overlaying the walls with 1/4 drywall
(screwed and glued), my question is will 1/4 drywall be strong enough
for the ceiling or will I want the additional screwing depth that 1/2
will provide.

Thanks for any thoughts
Mickey

the_plumber

Mickey wrote:

I am working on an older home where the white and brown coat of
plaster are very bouncy. I am overlaying the walls with 1/4 drywall
(screwed and glued), my question is will 1/4 drywall be strong enough
for the ceiling or will I want the additional screwing depth that 1/2
will provide.

Thanks for any thoughts
Mickey

I've used 1/4" for the same purpose but I've also used 3/8" and prefer it.

donald girod

I've used 1/4" but it's awfully floopy when you try to put it on a ceiling.
3/8" is probably better. Make sure your screws get into the ceiling joists
soundly (2 1/2" screws would be about right for 3/8 drywall and 7/8
plaster), and use plenty so that you are holding the plaster up soundly.

"Mickey" wrote in message
m...
I am working on an older home where the white and brown coat of
plaster are very bouncy. I am overlaying the walls with 1/4 drywall
(screwed and glued), my question is will 1/4 drywall be strong enough
for the ceiling or will I want the additional screwing depth that 1/2
will provide.

Thanks for any thoughts
Mickey

r.w.

I am currently in the process of reno'ing the kitchen. I had the same
situation. Plaster walls, old house, etc. etc.... I took down the
plaster.... Dear god what a job... I knew going in that it wasn't going to
be easy, but I didn't realize how much work it really is. Its not just the
plaster but the lath boards that are a pain in the ass as well.

Here are some other things I found as well:

Double bricked walls (older house), then 1X2 strapping, then lath board,
then plaster.

If you do decide to take out the plaster, I found the easiest way is to get
one of those 3ft crow bars and kind of slide it between the lath board and
the plaster. Put cardboard boxes underneath to try and "catch" the plaster
as it falls. I found this gives the biggest chunks and least mess.

I have just finished the removal of the plaster and now I start plumbing,
electrical, and drywalling. Whatever you do, good luck!!! Someone told me
it all turns out in the end.......