Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storm Door Problem

I just installed an Andersen (Emco) self-storing storm door (link below).
It is made of propylene which is not very rigid. The lips of the pocket
that the glass and screen fit into are bowed outward in the center on both
sides. This means that the pile weatherstripping of the glass doesn't make
contact at the bottom, and will allow rain to go right into the core of the
door, not to mention not providing any sealing in the winter time.

I called their hotline, and the gentleman said that bowing is normal, and
offered to send me an engineering set of tolerances to compare against. He
said that he doubts that Home Depot would accept it as a return since it's
been installed. He said that storm doors aren't meant to seal, just to
protect the entry door against the weather.

I guess I expect a little more quality and sealing ability from a storm
door. Am I expecting too much? Any suggestions on how to proceed.

http://www.allseasonsdoors.com/doors...=62&showdoor=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

you bought the low end door didnt you? ythe 99 buck special

Return the door for a exchange, the 200 buck doors are made way better.

i have one of those cheap doors going to my back deck, the door gets
almost no use. wife demanded a deck and never uses it, average less
than once a year..falling apart, water gets in and fogs glass bottom
kick panel fell out.

exchange for a better door the one you bought is junk........

home depot will take it back to keep you as a customer may need to get
manager involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, this door was $240.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I just installed an Andersen (Emco) self-storing storm door (link below).
It is made of propylene which is not very rigid. The lips of the pocket
that the glass and screen fit into are bowed outward in the center on both
sides. This means that the pile weatherstripping of the glass doesn't make
contact at the bottom, and will allow rain to go right into the core of the
door, not to mention not providing any sealing in the winter time.

How much gap do you have? I just looked at my similar aluminum door and it
is not a perfect seal either, but still pretty good. Does Home Depot have
one on display you can look at for comparison?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one on display is even worse. They must assign the displays to the new
guys. I've put some clamps on the door with the hopes that the sun will
soften the skin and it will get a "memory".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
The one on display is even worse. They must assign the displays to the new
guys. I've put some clamps on the door with the hopes that the sun will
soften the skin and it will get a "memory".

poor quality, return door.........

for 240 bucks you deserve better.