Art

Default Sony KV35S65 Main tuner dead (electrical storm?)

Rob: Plenty of good repair facilities here in the Greeter Detroit Area of
Michigan. Also many SONY authorized repair facilities. Try Gibson's in
Roseville?? Have them check the unit over and supply an estimate, of course
you will need to either transport the tele to the facility or pay for a
service call plus a bit of labor.
"Rob Pyle" wrote in message
m...
(Rob Pyle) wrote in message

. com...
I am trying to figure out how dead my TV is. We had an electrical
storm last night (SE Michigan, quite a storm!), and on waking up this
morning here is what my TV was doing (Sony KV-35S65):

The main screen shows no pictu monochromatic snow and buzzing
sound. disconnecting the cable from the back results in snow flecked
with color and more of a static-y sound.

The small PIP window works fine, with clear picture and audio

S-Video and 2nd RCA video input work fine as well.

After reading the sci.electronics.repair FAQ, and the Sony solder FAQ,
it sounds like I have the symptoms of a bad solder joint, but the
electrical storm has me worried. I am not very electronics savvy (the
techs in my group have taught me to solder through hole components on
boards, but won't let me near surface mount stuff . . .yet!) and don't
really want to pursue a self-repair, unless it is pretty simple.

The TV was not on during the storm, but was plugged in (any
relevance?)

What are your best guesses?

Is it worth poking around the tuner (I read the safety warnings in the
FAQ and am properly concerned)?

Is there anything I can tell a repair guy/gal to minimize the
troubleshooting time and/or cost?

What kinds of costs would I be looking at (I know it will be a
non-exact answer)

Can anyone give me a good cover story to tell my wife to sell her that
we just need to get the flat panel HDTV because this one is toast???

Anyone in the SE michigan area doing TV repair want the job if I go
for a repair???

Thanks a lot! You guys are some of the best resource for help
available!

Rob

I'm not sure If I asked this incorrectly or if it just got skipped,
I'll try one more time. Thanks.