Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Default Vented Storm Doors Available?

I was told (by a HD dude) that there is a storm door
manufacturer that puts permanent vents at the top and bottom
of one of their storm door models to provide "chimney-like"
venting of the space between the "real" door and the storm
door. (The door sales guy can't remember the manufacturer
..... of course) My door faces South and the heat build-up
warped the original fiberglass/plastic mouldings around the
window panes in the entrance door.....I have since made wood
mouldings up special and replaced the original moulding, and
that works fine. I would really like to get rid of the
intense heat in that space though.....the "full view" storm
sash is really just for looks + I have film on it to prevent
fading of the entrance door.

Anyone know of such a vented storm door? The only one I
have been able to "Google Up" has a monster vent clear
across the bottom (looks bad) and none at the top!

If I could round up some brass bezels, I believe I could
drill and install several small, round, screened vents
myself.....but I would need a few "courage pills" before
taking a sawhole drill to a new door )

TIA Ed S in Western Nebraska

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Ed,
Consider the small round soffit vents.

Bill

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:52:02 -0600, "Ed Sievers"
wrote:

I was told (by a HD dude) that there is a storm door
manufacturer that puts permanent vents at the top and bottom
of one of their storm door models to provide "chimney-like"
venting of the space between the "real" door and the storm
door. (The door sales guy can't remember the manufacturer
.... of course)

Junior Member

Good question, and I've been wondering the same. I was looking at storms at Menard's and one of their people asked if they could help me. I posed your question, and he thought most of the screened units would work. I question his knowledge though. Plus if I posted it will give this thread a bump.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Thanks guys.....as I recall, the round soffit vents are even
screened so that should work well.........Ed S.
"Ed Sievers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of the soffit vents. I have
seen them and as I recall, they are "factory' screened.
They should do the job just fine and the louvered type
should even keep water out unless a hard driving rain is
involved. I will look them over a little
closer.......Thanks again, Ed S.

wrote:

I was told (by a HD dude) that there is a storm door
manufacturer that puts permanent vents at the top and
bottom
of one of their storm door models to provide
"chimney-like"
venting of the space between the "real" door and the storm
door. (The door sales guy can't remember the manufacturer
.... of course)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Thanks guys. I'll look into the round soffit vents...I
hadn't thought of that, but as I recall, they are "factory"
screened and the louvered type should keep out all but the
hardest driving rain too. Thanks again.Ed S
"Ed Sievers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Wow!! I was having lots of trouble posting a reply. I
finally got it fixed and I guess all my earlier attempts at
replys got "buffered up" and they all went out after my