Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default ground wire on siemens panel

I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I'm pretty sure, if you don't distort the end of the wire it should just fit
in the terminals, but you can always pick up a ground detail from a supply

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:

I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check with your electrical supply store. There's an adapter block ( I don't
know what it's called) available that takes up 2 spaces on the ground bar
and has a larger lug on it.

But, as another poster mentioned, #4 should fit. Try running the screw
almost all the way out. #4 wire fit my CH panel, but it took some effort to
get it in there.

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Aug 2006 11:07:44 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

imho:

Go to a electrial supply shop and get an add-on neutral lug for your
panel, remember to follow all electrial codes.

Example of what one looks like: http://www.urlbee.com?7778

or google "neutral lug"

hth,

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.

No competent electrical inspector will ever except that. Buy the
correct lug and install it.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom Horne, Electrician" wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.

No competent electrical inspector will ever except that. Buy the
correct lug and install it.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Bull****!

There is no reduction in current capacity and there is no safety issue.
There certainly would be an issue if you trimmed of a few strands to fit
an undersized hole, but in this case you are maintaining the full
capacity of the wire.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Isn't there a minimum size wire before you are allowed to parallel
conductors?

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

It's not parallel conductors, it's a spread termination.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Fundamentally I tend to agree with your premise, however you could take it
to the absurd, like splitting 4/0 among eight or so terminals. I think the
intention of the code is that equipment should be used as intended by the
manufacturer. Since the manufacturer's make lugs of all sizes, buying the
proper sized one would seem more reasonable to me. There is also the
"workman like manner" rule

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ed wrote:

I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Your opinion that it is BS does not change the fact that no competent
electrical inspector will sign off on such an installation. The US NEC
requires that equipment be installed and used in accordance with any
instructions included in the listing or labeling. The UL white book
contains the listings and the sizes of wire that each listed terminal
are tested to terminate. You're wilderness engineering solution will
not pass inspection.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed
and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or
labeling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Please tell me exactly which of the instructions included with the
listed panel a spread termination will violate? It certainly will not
violate the neutral / ground terminals specified wire gauge range as
each terminal will be terminating a wire strand bundle matching it's
rated gauge range.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Nice try Pete. Your split strands don't have a gage. Upon request you
have to present the listing mark or label and there is no listing mark
or label for the divided strands. It is simply a damaged conductor.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of
electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators,
and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign
materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive
residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe
operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are
broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or
overheating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Nice try, unless a strand has been severed, it is *not* a damaged
conductor any more than it would be a damaged conductor being squished
under the terminal screw. Indeed I've seen terminal screws nearly sever
strands.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Why not just /ask/ the local code inspector if it would be OK to
separate the strands and use 2 adjacent terminals, or if you need to buy
an add-on lug? They both seem perfectly reasonable solutions to me if
done neatly. Separating the strands has the advantage of one less
connection. The add-on lug would probably look a little better.

Or are you two just having fun ****ing on each other? ;-)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Actually where I am either would be fine as I have no AHJ to worry
about.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to
connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire
(and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!
You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.
No competent electrical inspector will ever except that. Buy the
correct lug and install it.
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too
dangerous
[...]

Your right of course. What matters is what the inspector on scene will
accept.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Ed wrote:

[...]

I agree with gfretwell, Tom and Thomas. Is a violation of 110.3-B and
could be called under 110.12.

bud--