Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default ground wire on siemens panel

Pete C. wrote:
"Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
"Tom Horne, Electrician" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!
You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.
No competent electrical inspector will ever except that. Buy the
correct lug and install it.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Bull****!

There is no reduction in current capacity and there is no safety issue.
There certainly would be an issue if you trimmed of a few strands to fit
an undersized hole, but in this case you are maintaining the full
capacity of the wire.

Pete C.

Your opinion that it is BS does not change the fact that no competent
electrical inspector will sign off on such an installation. The US NEC
requires that equipment be installed and used in accordance with any
instructions included in the listing or labeling. The UL white book
contains the listings and the sizes of wire that each listed terminal
are tested to terminate. You're wilderness engineering solution will
not pass inspection.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed
and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or
labeling.

Please tell me exactly which of the instructions included with the
listed panel a spread termination will violate? It certainly will not
violate the neutral / ground terminals specified wire gauge range as
each terminal will be terminating a wire strand bundle matching it's
rated gauge range.

Pete C.

Nice try Pete. Your split strands don't have a gage. Upon request you
have to present the listing mark or label and there is no listing mark
or label for the divided strands. It is simply a damaged conductor.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of
electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators,
and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign
materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive
residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe
operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are
broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or
overheating.