Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default ground wire on siemens panel

Fundamentally I tend to agree with your premise, however you could take it
to the absurd, like splitting 4/0 among eight or so terminals. I think the
intention of the code is that equipment should be used as intended by the
manufacturer. Since the manufacturer's make lugs of all sizes, buying the
proper sized one would seem more reasonable to me. There is also the
"workman like manner" rule

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ed wrote:

I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.