Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default ground wire on siemens panel

Tom The Great wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:11:53 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Tom Horne, Electrician" wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ed wrote:
I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to
connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect
it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to
fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for
this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and
will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in
two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.

No competent electrical inspector will ever except that. Buy the
correct lug and install it.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Bull****!

There is no reduction in current capacity and there is no safety issue.
There certainly would be an issue if you trimmed of a few strands to fit
an undersized hole, but in this case you are maintaining the full
capacity of the wire.

Pete C.

Isn't there a minimum size wire before you are allowed to parallel
conductors?

tom

It's not parallel conductors, it's a spread termination.

Pete C.