Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default KitchenAid Washer - blance problem

Hi.

This is Model: KAWL410BWHO

Not sure of age, but about 10 years old. Goes wild in spin cycle. Fine
during wash cycle.
It's out of balance in spin, even with no water in it, or clothes. When I
load it up with clothes, it tries to shake itself apart.

Looked under it, the suspension springs are fine and hooked up.

Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem attached to
anything. It's located just under the tub.
Could take a picture, but am not sure it can be attached here.

What should I look for? I'm sure balance questions came up before, but I
can'd find anything useful in web search.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
JeremyR

Greetings,

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, after a move,
during which I presume the washer was tilted and/or jarred enough to
throw the balance out of whack.

That triangular-shaped part (let's call it the "tub frame" as I don't
know its real name) is supposed to just "float," retained in place by
the suspension springs that you mentioned. However, it should float
freely, able to move laterally in any direction. In my situation, the
tub was able to move but not as freely as it should have.

In my case it turned out that (if I recall correctly) one of the "tabs"
on the bottom of the tub had caught somewhere on the frame, hindering
the free movement of the tub. This would have required a fair amount of
rotation of the tub; I'm not sure how it happened merely by
transporting the washer, but that's what happened. In any case, I
determined the tub's intended position by finding wear marks on its
underside (it "floats" above some--three, I think--teflon bearings,
which weren't lining up with the wear marks).

Once confirming that the tub was indeed out of alignment, I reseated it
in its original position. I removed the suspension springs in order to
do this, although it may be possible to right the tub without resorting
to such measures.

I've got the thing apart right now because of a different problem, so
if I can be of further assistance, please follow up via e-mail. Good
luck!

Cheers,
Jeremy

RichK wrote:

Hi.

This is Model: KAWL410BWHO

Not sure of age, but about 10 years old. Goes wild in spin cycle. Fine
during wash cycle.
It's out of balance in spin, even with no water in it, or clothes. When I
load it up with clothes, it tries to shake itself apart.

Looked under it, the suspension springs are fine and hooked up.

Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem attached to
anything. It's located just under the tub.
Could take a picture, but am not sure it can be attached here.

What should I look for? I'm sure balance questions came up before, but I
can'd find anything useful in web search.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

RichK wrote:
Hi.

This is Model: KAWL410BWHO

Not sure of age, but about 10 years old. Goes wild in spin cycle. Fine
during wash cycle.
It's out of balance in spin, even with no water in it, or clothes. When I
load it up with clothes, it tries to shake itself apart.

Looked under it, the suspension springs are fine and hooked up.

Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem attached to
anything. It's located just under the tub.
Could take a picture, but am not sure it can be attached here.

What should I look for? I'm sure balance questions came up before, but I
can'd find anything useful in web search.

Regards,

RichK

Hi,

Washer been moved recently? On a wood or cement floor?

A copy:

EXCESSIVE VIBRATION OR MACHINE WALKS:
~Not level.
~Front leveling leg locknuts not tight.
~Weak floor.- Try it on a concrete slab
~Unbalanced load.
~Shipping pins still in shipping location. (not dropped into retaining
cups)
~Rear leveling legs stuck.
~Rear cabinet sides loose.
~Suspension plate pads worn - Replace Suspension Plate & Base Pads
~Suspension springs missing, broken or not connected.
~Basket ballast missing (Salt water in plastic inner tub ring leaked
out, ring is located around top of inner tub, usually brown in color).-
Check for sloshing water sounds as tub stops from spinning

Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem attached to
anything. It's located just under the tub

Part of the suspection....
http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Hi Jeff the AppliGuy:

"Appliance Repair Aid"

Washer been moved recently? On a wood or cement floor?

Yes, moved recently. Was placed on the side during move. Did one load
after the move and it was a bit out of balance, but on second load went
wild. Floor is cement in the basement.

~Not level.

Checked and re-checked the level.

~Front leveling leg locknuts not tight.

Must verify that and lock them. The rear legs are "self adjusting" there's
no way to lock them.

~Weak floor.- Try it on a concrete slab

Yes, floor is concrete.

~Unbalanced load.

Viabrates even without any clothes in it. Even removed the agitator and
made no diff.

~Shipping pins still in shipping location. (not dropped into retaining
cups)

Ah, that's what these are :-) They are in their plastic "cups" - had no
idea what they were for :-)

~Rear leveling legs stuck.

Lubed them and excersided. There's some spring between them and it's in
place. Seem OK.

~Rear cabinet sides loose.

Did not remove any, so they must be in place.

~Suspension plate pads worn - Replace Suspension Plate & Base Pads

Not sure where these are. This is a possibilty. Have User and Installation
manuals, but these were not marked.

~Suspension springs missing, broken or not connected.

These are fine and connected.

~Basket ballast missing (Salt water in plastic inner tub ring leaked
out, ring is located around top of inner tub, usually brown in color).-
Check for sloshing water sounds as tub stops from spinning

Do hear some slushing, so this must be OK. Was not aware of this item.
Thought if was some left over water. Looks like there's more to a washer
than I thought :-)

Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem attached

anything. It's located just under the tub

Part of the suspection....
http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html

From your link, it appears that the "triangular shaper part" must be "skate
plate kit", which at the moment is just loose. Should it be attached in
some way to anything?

Regards,

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

My own followup:

"RichK" wrote in message

Puzzling thing is a triangular shape part, which does not seem

attached
anything. It's located just under the tub

Part of the suspection....
http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html

From your link, it appears that the "triangular shaper part" must be

"skate
plate kit", which at the moment is just loose. Should it be attached in
some way to anything?

With the washer in the upright position, I moved the wash tub around
vigoruosly and maybe things fell somewhat in place. It does not shake as
bad. It still does some.

Is there some sort of spec on how much out of balance a new machine can be?
I've not owned a new one in a long time.

This one is good 10 years old and maybe it needs new pads, but I'd hate to
spend the money and time, just to find out that what I have now is "normal"
:-)

Regards,

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

G'day,

Should it be attached in
some way to anything?

Free floating.

Is there some sort of spec on how much out of balance a new machine can be?

Not sure what this is asking!?
The baskets will wobble normally and inch or so back and forth
normally...if that is what you meant?

Yes, moved recently. Was placed on the side during move

Probably why it is wobbling...
http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html
http://tinyurl.com/rg3bt

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"Appliance Repair Aid"

Is there some sort of spec on how much out of balance a new machine can

be?

Not sure what this is asking!?
The baskets will wobble normally and inch or so back and forth
normally...if that is what you meant?

That's about how much mine wobbles, when it's empty.

Went over to neighbors house and tested the washer in spin, without any
water or load - the thing was in perfect balance. It was a Sears model
about 7 years old.

Probably why it is wobbling...
http://www.applianceaid.com/suspention.html
http://tinyurl.com/rg3bt

Thanks for these links Jeff. What are the pads made of? Will putting some
grease help.

Looking at the second picture, I suspect one of the pads is gone in my case.
I see some bare metal where it should be. Will use mirrors to get a better
look from the bottom.

It's a great lesson for me in washers :-) Used them all my life, but never
looked under one. Well, once :-)

Regards,

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

RichK wrote:
"Appliance Repair Aid"

[...]

A nylon like material, white ones and brown ones are slightly different
density. Usually clean ( if sticky ) them but no lube.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2978
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2979
Pictures of them.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Amana washer problem Ben Bayer Home Repair 1 September 13th 05 01:52 AM
Amana Washer Problem & Solution Mark Libby Home Repair 8 June 3rd 04 03:44 PM
Hotpoint Washer problem Christian McArdle UK diy 1 September 8th 03 12:34 PM
washer problem memememe Home Repair 12 August 22nd 03 04:01 AM
Maytag Washer Problem Elizabeth Home Repair 3 August 11th 03 04:32 AM