Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shingle starter strip question.

I am about to shingle a shed I just put up and I have a question about
the starter strip. I am using Timerline Ultra 30 shingles and I have
read that I should create a starter strip by cutting the tabs off the
shingle. I don't really see a tab it just has a raised part to give it
an architectural look. Do I need a starter strip? Also, if I need to
create a starter strip where should I nail, just below the tar strip ?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

the function of the starter is to have a shingle under the gaps between
the shingles of the first couse. i have seen people cut the bottom
portion of a timberline shingle off, and use the top portion for a
starter. you can also get actual starter strip that goes with
timberlines. when i put shingles on my shed, i just cut a shingle into
small pieces and put one under each joint in the first course (wouldn't
do this on a house, but on my own shed it was fine).

you can nail the starter fairly close to the edge of the roof to
prevent the wind from picking it up. then, the first course of
shingles will glue themselves to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Most pros just put a strip of regular shingles installed upside down,
nothing special just whatever is leftover from another job..

The disadvantage to this is that there is no tar strip under the first
course of shingles and the wind could get under them.

You could cut off the tabs off of regular shingles and then nail them as per
the instructions on the package.

If you must use the timberline shingles you would cut off the portion of the
shingle that would be exposed 5" or so. Depending on how many extra
shingles you have its going to be allot cheaper to use regular plain
shingles.

One advantage to using the timberlines is that the first row of shingles
will have the right amount of "lift" to them and won't look as "flat".

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to shingle a shed I just put up and I have a question about
the starter strip. I am using Timerline Ultra 30 shingles and I have
read that I should create a starter strip by cutting the tabs off the
shingle. I don't really see a tab it just has a raised part to give it
an architectural look. Do I need a starter strip? Also, if I need to
create a starter strip where should I nail, just below the tar strip ?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the help. One more question if you may.... how many
nails should I put on a single 36" shingle?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

Thanks all for the help. One more question if you may.... how many
nails should I put on a single 36" shingle?

One nail at each end, and one nail at each 'tab'
Posted to alt.home.repair

buy a bundle of jet shingles, no tabs at all