Eric The Viking

Default How to fit plastic edging strip to ceramic wall tiles?

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to
apply plastic edging strip to wall tiles?

I want to use the strip around a window opening and a door frame in a
bathroom.

Should I fit the strip before tiling i.e. nail or glue it to the wall -
or is it best to try to wedge the strip under the tiles before the
adhesive sets.

Any ideas much appreciated!

ETV

mrcheerful

"Eric The Viking" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to
apply plastic edging strip to wall tiles?

I want to use the strip around a window opening and a door frame in a
bathroom.

Should I fit the strip before tiling i.e. nail or glue it to the wall -
or is it best to try to wedge the strip under the tiles before the
adhesive sets.

Any ideas much appreciated!

ETV

I fixed mine round the opening of the window first, I glued it in place,
this gave me a nice straight line to tile up to, also you can mitre the
corners properly.

mrcheerful

Eric The Viking

Blimey, that was a quick reply ;-)

Cheers for the tip!

What glue did you use - "No more nails" or similar?

ETV

mrcheerful
. wrote:
"Eric The Viking" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to
apply plastic edging strip to wall tiles?

I want to use the strip around a window opening and a door frame in a
bathroom.

Should I fit the strip before tiling i.e. nail or glue it to the wall -
or is it best to try to wedge the strip under the tiles before the
adhesive sets.

Any ideas much appreciated!

ETV

I fixed mine round the opening of the window first, I glued it in place,
this gave me a nice straight line to tile up to, also you can mitre the
corners properly.

mrcheerful

Set Square

Eric The Viking wrote:

Blimey, that was a quick reply ;-)

Cheers for the tip!

What glue did you use - "No more nails" or similar?

Apply tile cement, and press the edging on so that the cement oozes up
through the holes, and then stick the tiles on - all before the cement sets.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:48:44 +0100, Set Square wrote:

Apply tile cement, and press the edging on so that the cement oozes
up through the holes, and then stick the tiles on - all before the
cement sets.

Step before. Cut and mitre as required, taking into account you don't
want a double layer of the holey bit anywhere. Well worth using edging
strip, tidies up other wise exposed tile edges neatly and will take
minor knocks a lot better than the tiles...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Stuart Noble

Eric The Viking wrote:
Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to
apply plastic edging strip to wall tiles?

I want to use the strip around a window opening and a door frame in a
bathroom.

Usually the tiles sit up against the architrave around the door, so
don't need edging.
It's up to you whether you fix the edging for the window first. I
usually slip it under the tiles while the adhesive is still wet and
stick a couple of bits of masking tape round it to keep the mitres in place.
TheScullster

Slow but accurate method.
Measure up window opening and mitre corners as necessary - make sure the
edging noze protrudes the thickness of a tile + adhesive beyond the window
reveal.
Stick up temporarily using pieces of masking tape and check that trim is
vertical/horizontal as appropriate.
When satisified smooth tile adhesive into hole cutouts on strip. Make sure
there are no blobs of adhesive left that would interfere with tile
placement.
When finished, re-check vertical/horizontal and trim position to make sure
none's moved.
Leave to set and then use trim as edge to tile to.
Personally I like to leave a grout joint between tile and trim, I believe
others push tile upto trim nozing.

Phil

Eric The Viking

Thanks to all for the great advice! I now have a clear idea of how to
fit the edging strips. Will find out how *exactly* clear when I end up
covered in adhesive ;-)

Thanks chaps!

ETV

Eric The Viking wrote:
Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to
apply plastic edging strip to wall tiles?

I want to use the strip around a window opening and a door frame in a
bathroom.

Should I fit the strip before tiling i.e. nail or glue it to the wall -
or is it best to try to wedge the strip under the tiles before the
adhesive sets.

Any ideas much appreciated!

ETV

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:18:02 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Measure up window opening and mitre corners as necessary - make sure
the edging noze protrudes the thickness of a tile + adhesive beyond
the window reveal.

Wouldn't it be better to fix the tiles to the edge of the reveal that
aren't going to have the edging strip under them first? Then you can
ensure the the nose is in the right place rather than relying on
measuring and guessing how thick the adhesive will be. It also allows
a certain amount of "adjustment" of the trim for real walls, ie none
flat.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Shingles and the Plastic strip (manufacturers reply) 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 7 April 8th 05 01:53 AM
Best Practice For Cutting Ceramic Wall Tiles [email protected] UK diy 5 January 19th 05 01:22 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Plastic strip on the back of Shingles... Abdullah Eyles UK diy 2 November 24th 03 09:11 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Ownership 25 October 26th 03 01:53 PM