Default Best Practice For Cutting Ceramic Wall Tiles

I have a tile cutter ( the =A315 type) where you score once by moving
the arm down the slider then "sapping" the scored tile under the
bars by pressing the lever. However, when ever I do this on a length
15mm (the piece I need!) on a 140mm X 140mm tile, all I get is a
corner breaking off!!!. Is it just practice or is there a knack? Do I
need to score more than once?. The cutting blades is as new. Does it
need lubrication? Help please, I`m running out of practice tiles!!

Christian McArdle

However, when ever I do this on a length 15mm (the piece I need!) on a
140mm X 140mm tile, all I get is a corner breaking off!!!. Is it

If cutting close to the edge, use an electric tile saw, rather than snapper.

Christian.

Peter Ashby

I have a tile cutter ( the £15 type) where you score once by moving
the arm down the slider then "sapping" the scored tile under the
bars by pressing the lever. However, when ever I do this on a length
15mm (the piece I need!) on a 140mm X 140mm tile, all I get is a
corner breaking off!!!. Is it just practice or is there a knack? Do I
need to score more than once?. The cutting blades is as new. Does it
need lubrication? Help please, I`m running out of practice tiles!!

As others have said, score more than once but don't move the tile seems
to be key. I retiled round the bath recently and had to cut all the
tiles, by scoring more than once I got good clean breaks. Only problem
was the tiles have a linear grain (subtle but noticeable) and I got some
of them the wrong way around. Solution: put them in the middle of the
run and make them a 'feature' ;-)

Peter

Thanks for all the replies.
Two things I`ve learnt! Score more than once, and a quick, sharp punch
on the "snapping" lever does the job. I`ve had several sucessful cuts
now so onward and upward!!

Cutting ceramic floor tiles [email protected] UK diy 5 December 21st 04 01:44 AM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
Wall tiles: low quality print? Jim Walsh UK diy 2 January 22nd 04 05:19 PM
Ceramic tiles Alec Powell UK diy 0 October 11th 03 12:36 PM
Very large wall tiles David Campbell UK diy 3 July 29th 03 12:08 AM