Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Shingle starter strip question.

wrote:
I am about to shingle a shed I just put up and I have a question about
the starter strip. I am using Timerline Ultra 30 shingles and I have
read that I should create a starter strip by cutting the tabs off the
shingle. I don't really see a tab it just has a raised part to give it
an architectural look. Do I need a starter strip? Also, if I need to
create a starter strip where should I nail, just below the tar strip ?
Thanks.

The instructions will be on the bundle wrap. In general you cut off
the tabs and lay the remainder upside down (puts the tar strip at the
edge of the roof). Since your shingles don't have tabs, you cut off
what would be the tabs and use the rest. Be sure to offset the starter
strip by whatevere offset you are using so the joints will be covered
by your first row of shingles. i.e., if you start the starter will a
full strip, then the first shingle strip has to start with a cut
shingle.

By the by, it is a good investment to buy a shingle hatchet. They make
the work so much easier and faster.

Harry K