Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Default Shingle starter strip question.

Most pros just put a strip of regular shingles installed upside down,
nothing special just whatever is leftover from another job..

The disadvantage to this is that there is no tar strip under the first
course of shingles and the wind could get under them.

You could cut off the tabs off of regular shingles and then nail them as per
the instructions on the package.

If you must use the timberline shingles you would cut off the portion of the
shingle that would be exposed 5" or so. Depending on how many extra
shingles you have its going to be allot cheaper to use regular plain
shingles.

One advantage to using the timberlines is that the first row of shingles
will have the right amount of "lift" to them and won't look as "flat".

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to shingle a shed I just put up and I have a question about
the starter strip. I am using Timerline Ultra 30 shingles and I have
read that I should create a starter strip by cutting the tabs off the
shingle. I don't really see a tab it just has a raised part to give it
an architectural look. Do I need a starter strip? Also, if I need to
create a starter strip where should I nail, just below the tar strip ?
Thanks.