Default slight OT - remove plastic film strip from asphalt shingles?

I seem to recall the last time I did a roofing job (11 years ago), I
recall removing the thin plastic film on the glue strip, which I
assumed was there to prevent the shingles getting all stuck together in
the bundle.

However, I'm roofing a new shed and this film is really tough to pull
off - not to mention messy. It'll take me longer to pull the film
strip than lay the shingles.

Question; is this designed to melt/dissolve; i.e., can I leave it on?

Note that the glue blobs don't have the covering. In the bundle
they're lined up with the plastic strips on the shingle above, on the
roof of course, the blobs would be under the covering shingle tabs.

thanks.

50% of my business is some kind of roofing/roof repair. We never
remove the strip, and the manufacturer never has recommended or
required it to be removed.

Robert

No

Not to sound like a jerk but did you read the instructions on the side of
the package? Its says specifically not to remove it if I remember correctly.
No need as others have said.
wrote in message
ups.com...
I seem to recall the last time I did a roofing job (11 years ago), I
recall removing the thin plastic film on the glue strip, which I
assumed was there to prevent the shingles getting all stuck together in
the bundle.

However, I'm roofing a new shed and this film is really tough to pull
off - not to mention messy. It'll take me longer to pull the film
strip than lay the shingles.

Question; is this designed to melt/dissolve; i.e., can I leave it on?

Note that the glue blobs don't have the covering. In the bundle
they're lined up with the plastic strips on the shingle above, on the
roof of course, the blobs would be under the covering shingle tabs.

thanks.

That was the bizarre part - there were no instructions. Googled and
lots of instructions for shingling, silence on the tape - I assumed if
it had to be removed they would point that out, but kind of hard to do
once they're down!!
I figure very few homeowners nowadays do there own shingling, so why
bother with instructions, although there is plenty of space. The pros
would know.

Left them on, finished the job in a morning.

Thomas

well,
you should have removed them. Once they have been removed, and the shingles
get hot on the roof, that asphalt strip melts into the shingle it is
touching making for a much stronger bond.
Oh well.

wrote in message
oups.com...
That was the bizarre part - there were no instructions. Googled and
lots of instructions for shingling, silence on the tape - I assumed if
it had to be removed they would point that out, but kind of hard to do
once they're down!!
I figure very few homeowners nowadays do there own shingling, so why
bother with instructions, although there is plenty of space. The pros
would know.

Left them on, finished the job in a morning.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:23:17 -0500, Thomas scythicon311@yahoo wrote:
well,
you should have removed them. Once they have been removed, and the shingles
get hot on the roof, that asphalt strip melts into the shingle it is
touching making for a much stronger bond.

You need to go look at where that asphault strip lines up on the row
below it (hint: not on the plastic strip or anywhere near it).

Oh well.

Indeed.

Mike

I worked as a roofer for about 6 years. That strip you're referring to
is a reinforcement strip used to give the nails (staples when I was
doing it) better hold-down qualities. You're not supposed to peel
anything off. There will be a row of what looks like dashes along the
bottom of the shingles. These globs heat up in the sun allow the
shingles to stick to eachother. This is very important in windy
conditions. I've seen entire roofs blow off in the cold because the
roof was newly added and they didn't have a chance to "bond" yet.

I only remember this strip being on what is called "dimensional"
shingles. I don't think 3-tabs have it. If they do, that's a new
develpment since I last worked as a roofer.

wrote:
I seem to recall the last time I did a roofing job (11 years ago), I
recall removing the thin plastic film on the glue strip, which I
assumed was there to prevent the shingles getting all stuck together in
the bundle.

However, I'm roofing a new shed and this film is really tough to pull
off - not to mention messy. It'll take me longer to pull the film
strip than lay the shingles.

Question; is this designed to melt/dissolve; i.e., can I leave it on?

Note that the glue blobs don't have the covering. In the bundle
they're lined up with the plastic strips on the shingle above, on the
roof of course, the blobs would be under the covering shingle tabs.

thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Karen

Default slight OT - remove plastic film strip from asphalt shing

When my 14-year-old tab shingle roof began to peel away in recent
windstorms, I also wondered if that strip should have been removed
when the roof was installed. As I looked at the torn shingles, I saw
the remnants of these strips, which peeled off very easily. But now I
see this definition of "release
tape" on a roofing glossary at
http://www.dal-roof.com/terms.htm, so I guess maybe that wasn't an
issue:

- A plastic or paper strip that is applied to the back of self-sealing
shingles. This strip prevents the shingles from sticking together in
the bundles, and need not be removed for application.

Florida Plastic film windows daveyjones Home Repair 6 January 11th 14 10:44 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Shingles and the Plastic strip (manufacturers reply) 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 7 April 8th 05 01:53 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Plastic strip on the back of Shingles... Abdullah Eyles UK diy 2 November 24th 03 09:11 PM