Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp socket wattage ratings

Could someone tell me what it means when a light bulb socket says it's
rated for 660 watts? If it's true that it can handle that much; then
why is it when I install a 250W incandescent bulb in a socket that is
rated for 660w it starts to melt and/or the wires do too. I can't
imagine how hot a 660W bulb gets (if there is such a thing), let alone
compared to a 250W bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have seen sockets with that 660W rating always thought it nuts.
Probably current limit of conductors within the socket, noit including
heating of the socket.

I USED to be able to buy a 300W bulb, today the largest I can find is
250W

We use CF now for nearly all applications so the heat isnt as
important. Although I still use a 250 watt bulb in my attic, it gets
very little use

Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

On 5 May 2006 18:10:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I have seen sockets with that 660W rating always thought it nuts.
Probably current limit of conductors within the socket, noit including
heating of the socket.

I USED to be able to buy a 300W bulb, today the largest I can find is
250W

We use CF now for nearly all applications so the heat isnt as
important. Although I still use a 250 watt bulb in my attic, it gets
very little use

There are indeed Edison (Medium) based sockets rated for 660W. Each
one that I have seen in this range is porcelain. Is yours?

They are used for theatrical/studio lighting. Above that there are
mogul bases and bi-pin connectors that go to 1000 W and beyond.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

On Fri, 05 May 2006 22:21:55 -0400, mm
wrote:

On 5 May 2006 17:43:51 -0700, wrote:

Could someone tell me what it means when a light bulb socket says it's
rated for 660 watts? If it's true that it can handle that much; then
why is it when I install a 250W incandescent bulb in a socket that is
rated for 660w it starts to melt and/or the wires do too. I can't

Obviously, it's rated for 660W but not for less. Get bigger bulbs.

imagine how hot a 660W bulb gets (if there is such a thing), let alone
compared to a 250W bulb.

Either that or Tony or Paul are right. I've never tried to use 250W
but I'm sure there are sockets that can handle them.

(Alternatively, who said that being within the rating means it won't
melt? Melting may be part of their rating. That's it. They're
saying that if you want to be sure it will melt, you need to use 660
watts. That yours melt with 250 means they are better than their
rating.)

Once again, bulbs of this great wattage are used in theatres, movie,
tv and photography studios. It is quite common for sockets to fail
and suffer a meltdown, the most recent instance when a bulb exploded
and injured one of the Desparate Housewives on the set (I forgot which
one). The level of heat is so great that failure mode is common and
unpredictable.

Bulbs explode in the studio all the time while news anchor people and
reporters are on-the-air, sometimes leading to hilarious outtakes.

Also, remember, that these high wattage bulbs are often placed on
dimmers so that, many times, they are mostly being used at a
less-than-full intensity.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

All of the sockets I have through-out my house say stuff like: 250V
660W or 600V 660W...I would like to use a 250W bulb in my basement's
ceiling lamp holder, figuring they will be operating base-up all of the
heat will drift up towards the socket (they are made from some type of
hard plastic, not porcelain).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:51:53 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

Could someone tell me what it means when a light bulb socket says it's
rated for 660 watts? If it's true that it can handle that much; then
why is it when I install a 250W incandescent bulb in a socket that is
rated for 660w it starts to melt and/or the wires do too. I can't
imagine how hot a 660W bulb gets (if there is such a thing), let alone
compared to a 250W bulb.

Hi,
I can bet there is one too many number 6. It sounds like 60W rated!
Don't burn your house down, LOL!

Some sockets are marked 660W.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:34:05 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

I'm thinking the socket is actually rated for a maximum of 660 volts,
not watts.

Then why do they call the volts watts?

Cheers,
Paul

On 5 May 2006 17:43:51 -0700, wrote:

Could someone tell me what it means when a light bulb socket says it's
rated for 660 watts? If it's true that it can handle that much; then
why is it when I install a 250W incandescent bulb in a socket that is
rated for 660w it starts to melt and/or the wires do too. I can't
imagine how hot a 660W bulb gets (if there is such a thing), let alone
compared to a 250W bulb.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

wrote:

I'm thinking the socket is actually rated for a maximum of 660 volts,
not watts.

It's more likely that the socket itself, not the wiring or fixture, is rated
for 660 watts. Then the next manufacturer buys it, attaches the wires, etc.
and labels the fixture at 60 watts (or whatever)

Posted to alt.home.repair

best to use a compact fluroscent.

more efficent, much less heat, and saves $$

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge

In hindsight, I think you're right. I have seen porcelain sockets in
commercial applications that are, in fact, rated for a maximum of 660
volts, but in a residential environment, it's more likely to be 250
volts/660 watts. Apologies to all for my confusion.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:31:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

It's more likely that the socket itself, not the wiring or fixture, is rated
for 660 watts. Then the next manufacturer buys it, attaches the wires, etc.
and labels the fixture at 60 watts (or whatever)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

wrote in message
On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:31:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I'm thinking the socket is actually rated for a maximum of 660 volts,
not watts.

It's more likely that the socket itself, not the wiring or fixture, is
rated
for 660 watts. Then the next manufacturer buys it, attaches the wires,
etc.
and labels the fixture at 60 watts (or whatever)

From a wiring standpoint 660w is not that big (5½ amps). That is well
within the ampacity of standard 18ga fixture wire. The real issue is
whether the fixture can shead the heat. (2240 BTU/hr)
There amy also be a reference to "base down" or "base up".

Yes, the 660 watts is an electrical rating, not a heat rating. It was 6
amperes at 110 volts and would apply if a screw-in adapter and cord was
used. It does not take into account any heat from a bulb.
Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 6 May 2006 15:12:01 -0700, "
wrote:

A thread about 250 watt bulbs.

best to use a compact fluroscent.

more efficent, much less heat, and saves $$

Is it true that a 250 watt compact fluorescent will give as much light
as a 2200 watt incandescent?

(Just kidding?)

Lamp Socket Question Mud Home Repair 9 November 25th 05 04:16 AM
Weird phone wiring with new flat - help needed with BT Broadband and master socket kiich UK diy 30 August 30th 05 11:04 PM
Fix for halogen lamp socket? Zak Electronics Repair 21 May 1st 05 05:11 PM
Where can I find a torch lamp socket? [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 22nd 05 02:40 AM
lamp socket mounting sizes (not bulb size) Ben Home Repair 2 December 30th 03 07:09 PM