Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Lamp socket wattage ratings

Beachcomber wrote:
On 6 May 2006 01:06:44 -0700, wrote:

All of the sockets I have through-out my house say stuff like: 250V
660W or 600V 660W...I would like to use a 250W bulb in my basement's
ceiling lamp holder, figuring they will be operating base-up all of the
heat will drift up towards the socket (they are made from some type of
hard plastic, not porcelain).

Is there any particular reason you want a 250 watt bulb in your
basement? Without knowing the full details it sounds like a poor
choice of lighting, inefficient, a fire-hazard, painful to look at,
and producer of excess heat.

If it is for a workshop or laundry area, you might be happier by
replacing the fixture with a 2 or 4 fluourescent tube fixture.

Beachcomber

Agreed, a two or four lamp fixture for 48inch bulbs is inexpensive, get
one with an electronic ballast to save even more energy (magnetic
ballasts consume 1/3 of the total energy of the fixture). I see a 48
inch two lamp fixture on 1000bulbs.com for $30
Two bulbs cost about $2 each.

A 200W incandescent will cost at least $5 and you will have to replace
it at least three or four times in the expected life of the fluorescent
lamps. Two 48 inch bulbs will put out about 6000 lumens of light vs
about 2800 for the 200W to 250W incandescent.