Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Lamp socket wattage ratings

On 5 May 2006 17:43:51 -0700, wrote:

Could someone tell me what it means when a light bulb socket says it's
rated for 660 watts? If it's true that it can handle that much; then
why is it when I install a 250W incandescent bulb in a socket that is
rated for 660w it starts to melt and/or the wires do too. I can't

Obviously, it's rated for 660W but not for less. Get bigger bulbs.

imagine how hot a 660W bulb gets (if there is such a thing), let alone
compared to a 250W bulb.

Either that or Tony or Paul are right. I've never tried to use 250W
but I'm sure there are sockets that can handle them.

(Alternatively, who said that being within the rating means it won't
melt? Melting may be part of their rating. That's it. They're
saying that if you want to be sure it will melt, you need to use 660
watts. That yours melt with 250 means they are better than their
rating.)