Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Lamp socket wattage ratings

On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:54:00 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

On 5 May 2006 18:10:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I have seen sockets with that 660W rating always thought it nuts.
Probably current limit of conductors within the socket, noit including
heating of the socket.

I USED to be able to buy a 300W bulb, today the largest I can find is
250W

We use CF now for nearly all applications so the heat isnt as
important. Although I still use a 250 watt bulb in my attic, it gets
very little use

There are indeed Edison (Medium) based sockets rated for 660W. Each
one that I have seen in this range is porcelain. Is yours?

They are used for theatrical/studio lighting. Above that there are
mogul bases and bi-pin connectors that go to 1000 W and beyond.

Beachcomber

So medium base is the same as Edison base? Then what do they call the
base on big (C9) holiday lights? These are bigger than candelabra
base.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com