Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

Default Lamp socket wattage ratings

On 6 May 2006 01:06:44 -0700, wrote:

All of the sockets I have through-out my house say stuff like: 250V
660W or 600V 660W...I would like to use a 250W bulb in my basement's
ceiling lamp holder, figuring they will be operating base-up all of the
heat will drift up towards the socket (they are made from some type of
hard plastic, not porcelain).

Is there any particular reason you want a 250 watt bulb in your
basement? Without knowing the full details it sounds like a poor
choice of lighting, inefficient, a fire-hazard, painful to look at,
and producer of excess heat.

If it is for a workshop or laundry area, you might be happier by
replacing the fixture with a 2 or 4 fluourescent tube fixture.

Beachcomber