Posted to alt.home.repair
Mud

Default Lamp Socket Question

I am replacing an 8" Lamp Harp with a 10" one. To do so, it looks like I
have to remove the light socket from the wiring. My question is:

How do I remove the bottom piece of the socket that pushes into the top
piece of the socket. The directions state to remove the socket shell from
cap by pressing where noted on the shell. Well, I don't see it noted
anywhere and I certainly can't find the place to press in order to enable
pulling the socket shell out.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Hopefully, you understand what I'm
talking about. For those who may not recognize what a lamp harp is, it's
the whole piece that the lamp shade screws onto. I didn't know that was
what it was called until now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doesn't seem like you'd need to disassemble the socket to replace the
harp, if what you mean by 'harp' is the curved metal piece that
attaches just below the socket in 2 places, and curves up to a spot
above the bulb.

What I'm thinking of, you just slide up the 2 metal pieces at the
bottom of the harp, which lets you remove the harp.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mud

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doesn't seem like you'd need to disassemble the socket to replace the
harp, if what you mean by 'harp' is the curved metal piece that
attaches just below the socket in 2 places, and curves up to a spot
above the bulb.

What I'm thinking of, you just slide up the 2 metal pieces at the
bottom of the harp, which lets you remove the harp.

Dave

That's true but the new harp is bright brass and the old one is antique. To
remove the antiqued bottom piece of the harp, I have to remove the socket to
run the wiring, etc. back through the base of the new harp. My last resort
it to do exactly what you say but I don't think the wife is going to let me
do it. Just another "honey do" that I've never done before. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

"Mud" wrote in message
om...
I am replacing an 8" Lamp Harp with a 10" one. To do so, it looks like I
have to remove the light socket from the wiring. My question is:

How do I remove the bottom piece of the socket that pushes into the top
piece of the socket. The directions state to remove the socket shell from
cap by pressing where noted on the shell. Well, I don't see it noted
anywhere and I certainly can't find the place to press in order to enable
pulling the socket shell out.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Hopefully, you understand what I'm
talking about. For those who may not recognize what a lamp harp is, it's
the whole piece that the lamp shade screws onto. I didn't know that was
what it was called until now.

Sometimes you can press on the shell and lift the cap off. Normally I put a
screwdriver into the slot between the cap and the shell and gentrly pry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Mud" wrote in message
om...
I am replacing an 8" Lamp Harp with a 10" one. To do so, it looks like I
have to remove the light socket from the wiring. My question is:

How do I remove the bottom piece of the socket that pushes into the top
piece of the socket. The directions state to remove the socket shell from
cap by pressing where noted on the shell. Well, I don't see it noted
anywhere and I certainly can't find the place to press in order to enable
pulling the socket shell out.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Hopefully, you understand what I'm
talking about. For those who may not recognize what a lamp harp is, it's
the whole piece that the lamp shade screws onto. I didn't know that was
what it was called until now.

The OEM stuff may not have the press point labeled. Usually you press near
where the switch comes out of the body. These units are held together by a
bunch of ridges that snap into little grooves. As long as you compress the
upper portion slightly while pulling on it, it will release.

The harp base is usually under the socket base. The socket base usually
connected by a threaded connector which may or may not have a small set
screw locking it to the shaft.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I would try Dave's suggestion first. When you lift up the two retainer
sleeves, you squeeze the bottom of the harp together to remove it. If you
must replace the lower section of the harp, there is a slot in the upper
half of the shell socket. If you press on the slot and bend the socket at
the same time, it'll pop out of the bottom section. The bottom section
usually has a set screw and is threaded on.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doesn't seem like you'd need to disassemble the socket to replace the
harp, if what you mean by 'harp' is the curved metal piece that
attaches just below the socket in 2 places, and curves up to a spot
above the bulb.

What I'm thinking of, you just slide up the 2 metal pieces at the
bottom of the harp, which lets you remove the harp.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Mud wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Doesn't seem like you'd need to disassemble the socket to replace the
harp, if what you mean by 'harp' is the curved metal piece that
attaches just below the socket in 2 places, and curves up to a spot
above the bulb.

What I'm thinking of, you just slide up the 2 metal pieces at the
bottom of the harp, which lets you remove the harp.

Dave

That's true but the new harp is bright brass and the old one is antique. To
remove the antiqued bottom piece of the harp, I have to remove the socket to
run the wiring, etc. back through the base of the new harp. My last resort
it to do exactly what you say but I don't think the wife is going to let me
do it. Just another "honey do" that I've never done before. Thanks!

Jeeze, is anybody but a would be proctologist ever going the see the
bottom part of the harp? G

But the advice you've already received is correct, press in on the upper
part of the socket shell while "bending it".

The rest is just commentary.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mud

Default Thanks To All For Your Help.... Lamp Socket Question

In the end, I wound up taking my pliers and pressing gently around the base
of the socket shell and then gently twisting the cap loose from the bottom.
I hope that I got the names of the pieces correct in my answer but once I
got the bottom out, then it was "duck soup" in doing the rest. Thanks again
to everyone for your help.

"Mud" wrote in message
om...
I am replacing an 8" Lamp Harp with a 10" one. To do so, it looks like I
have to remove the light socket from the wiring. My question is:

How do I remove the bottom piece of the socket that pushes into the top
piece of the socket. The directions state to remove the socket shell from
cap by pressing where noted on the shell. Well, I don't see it noted
anywhere and I certainly can't find the place to press in order to enable
pulling the socket shell out.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Hopefully, you understand what I'm
talking about. For those who may not recognize what a lamp harp is, it's
the whole piece that the lamp shade screws onto. I didn't know that was
what it was called until now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:42:12 GMT, "Mud" wrote:

I am replacing an 8" Lamp Harp with a 10" one. To do so, it looks like I
have to remove the light socket from the wiring. My question is:

How do I remove the bottom piece of the socket that pushes into the top

No. The top pushes into the bottom.

piece of the socket. The directions state to remove the socket shell from
cap by pressing where noted on the shell. Well, I don't see it noted
anywhere and I certainly can't find the place to press in order to enable
pulling the socket shell out.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Hopefully, you understand what I'm
talking about. For those who may not recognize what a lamp harp is, it's
the whole piece that the lamp shade screws onto. I didn't know that was
what it was called until now.

It's been called a harp for 60 years, probably 130. and probably when
there were only gaslights. (Imagine the little harps they show angels
playing.)

Some of these guys may be too young to know but they didn't have
detachable harp tops until 1960 at least, or later. Prior to that
they were all like yours.

Push on any part, various parts, of the base of the top until it comes
out from the bottom. The bottom then unscrews from the threaded tube
that runs up the center. You may have to loosen a set screw in the
bottom part first.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Wiring load question EricP UK diy 11 November 9th 05 07:06 PM
Question about hard-wiring hanging flourescent light [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 1st 05 01:31 AM
Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous? Bob Eager UK diy 57 May 16th 05 11:03 AM
Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous? Bob Eager Home Repair 0 April 27th 05 09:22 PM
Moving BT master socket, is this frowned upon? Jason Arthurs UK diy 48 February 28th 04 09:46 AM