Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge

Default Lamp socket wattage ratings

In hindsight, I think you're right. I have seen porcelain sockets in
commercial applications that are, in fact, rated for a maximum of 660
volts, but in a residential environment, it's more likely to be 250
volts/660 watts. Apologies to all for my confusion.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:31:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

It's more likely that the socket itself, not the wiring or fixture, is rated
for 660 watts. Then the next manufacturer buys it, attaches the wires, etc.
and labels the fixture at 60 watts (or whatever)