Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default lawnmower help

I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

SeaKan wrote:
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel
mowers? do they take getting used to? i don't mind a push
mower....just would like to take some of the exertion off. i could
go either way on the lawn size.....but my backyard has some
obstaclese to go around. advice?

Not many of us have experience with different brands nor different
models of the same brand.

I can say that in general a rear drive will have better traction, but
will be a little harder to maneuver. With a front wheel drive you just push
down on the handle a little and the drive wheels are off the ground

You might want to check out the recent issues of Consumer reports, They
usually do a story on them in the early spring. You local library should
have the back copies.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

SeaKan wrote:
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

I just switched from a front wheel drive to a rear wheel drive mower
because the front wheel drive wouldn't pull through tough grass. This
was my first rear wheel drive mower & I wasn't sure how I'd handle the
differences. No problem at all! It pulls better and handles easier
around obstacles than the other one. But if you don't have tough thick
grass, either one would do well.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know americans are trying to elminate all physical exertion, and
this is making their waist lines grow. obesity causes many disaeases.

something to ponder when making buying decision

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

SeaKan wrote:
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

Depends on your age. As I got older I went to a self propelled Lawnboy.
B&S Engine. Have had it more than 10 years and it works great.
Very early in it's life I switched to 5W30 Mobil 1. I consider
synthetic the best for hot running air cooled engines. Since synthetic
doesn't need those viscosity improvers to obtain the multi grade it has
all the advantages of straight weight conventional but not the thickness
when cold.

Last year it seemed to be missing a bit. Took off the cover and noted
that the kill switch wire seemed rather frayed and it ran through a
support hole in the casting. I put a sleeve over it and it runs like
new again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

I have a Toro Personal Pace. It's rear wheel drive and the personal pace
feature is nice. Toro makes a claim that it's easy to start and I can
verify that - it usually starts on the first pull. I have to mow some hilly
terrain with a number of steep banks and the personal pace works great for
that.

I've not owned many self-propelled mowers but there are a couple of features
I'd look for in my next one. I have to move the mower a considerable
distance over a gravel drive so, it would be nice to have the self-propelled
feature without the blade running. I think some mowers have that feature
but it involves a clutch mechanism to operate the on/off feature of the
blade and that adds weight. I also have to get the mower up and down
several steps to get to areas of grass that aren't accessible any other way.
The Toro is not designed to move down steps (not running, of course). I've
had mowers that were relatively easy to move up and down steps, but on the
Toro the deck extends back past the rear wheels far enough that it hits the
edge of a step when you try to ease it up or down.

Harry

"SeaKan" wrote in message
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

You should not only look at the rear drive vs the front drive. Also look at
the 2 stroke engine vs the 4 stroke engine. One requires the mixing of oil
and gas, the other does not. My experience with Lawnboy products indicates
that they are 2 stroke engines. They require mixing of the gas and oil.
That's a pain.
"SeaKan" wrote in message
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"SeaKan" wrote in message ...
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

I have been very impressed by the "personal pace" feature. It really works.
It was worth every penny I paid. (Free mower)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Rich256 wrote:
SeaKan wrote:
[...]

Correction, that was a Lawn Man with a B&S 4 cycle engine. As others
say don't get a 2 cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

John Lawrence wrote:
You should not only look at the rear drive vs the front drive. Also
look at the 2 stroke engine vs the 4 stroke engine. One requires the
mixing of oil and gas, the other does not. My experience with Lawnboy
products indicates that they are 2 stroke engines. They
require mixing of the gas and oil. That's a pain.

I believe that most if not all the Lawnboys are not 4 cycle.

"SeaKan" wrote in message
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the
Toro Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel
mowers? do they take getting used to? i don't mind a push
mower....just would like to take some of the exertion off. i could
go either way on the lawn size.....but my backyard has some
obstaclese to go around. advice?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
John Lawrence wrote:
You should not only look at the rear drive vs the front drive. Also
look at the 2 stroke engine vs the 4 stroke engine. One requires the
mixing of oil and gas, the other does not. My experience with Lawnboy
products indicates that they are 2 stroke engines. They
require mixing of the gas and oil. That's a pain.

I believe that most if not all the Lawnboys are not 4 cycle.

I thought the 'real' LawnBoys (the 2-cyles with the staggered wheel in
front) have all gone away, now that it has been a few years since they were
eaten by Toro. Nobody even sells the LawnBoy branded Toros around here.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawn Boy sells both 2 and 4cycle now. They have a rear powered 4 cycle
self propelled much like the Toro Personel Pace. My neighbor just got
one. Big advantage in my Toro is more height adjustment settings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

SeaKan wrote:
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?

Make sure you get one that is variable speed. I'll sell you my single
speed (Its too slow for me). South East PA