Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Default lawnmower help

I have a Toro Personal Pace. It's rear wheel drive and the personal pace
feature is nice. Toro makes a claim that it's easy to start and I can
verify that - it usually starts on the first pull. I have to mow some hilly
terrain with a number of steep banks and the personal pace works great for
that.

I've not owned many self-propelled mowers but there are a couple of features
I'd look for in my next one. I have to move the mower a considerable
distance over a gravel drive so, it would be nice to have the self-propelled
feature without the blade running. I think some mowers have that feature
but it involves a clutch mechanism to operate the on/off feature of the
blade and that adds weight. I also have to get the mower up and down
several steps to get to areas of grass that aren't accessible any other way.
The Toro is not designed to move down steps (not running, of course). I've
had mowers that were relatively easy to move up and down steps, but on the
Toro the deck extends back past the rear wheels far enough that it hits the
edge of a step when you try to ease it up or down.

Harry

"SeaKan" wrote in message
I may buy a Lawnboy mower that has rear-wheel drive. how does the Toro
Personal pace compare? are there any drawbacks to self propel mowers? do
they take getting used to? i don't mind a push mower....just would like to
take some of the exertion off. i could go either way on the lawn
size.....but my backyard has some obstaclese to go around. advice?