Ulysses

Default Briggs & Stratton lawnmower: smoke from oil filler

I have a lawnmower with a BS 3.5 HP engine. If I overfill the oil or if it
gets tilted too far to the side where the crankcase breather is oil will get
onto the air filter, into the carburator and cause white smoke. It usually
clears up after running it a few minutes.

As far as replacing the piston rings goes in my opinion it is not worth
repairing. By the time the piston rings are worn the crankshaft is probably
also worn and the case would need to be replaced because there are no
bearings. It is likely that the piston rod would need replacing too.

I have seen BS lawnmower engines on eBay recently for $66 Buy-it-now with
reasonable shipping (smallenginedeals was the seller, I think--and yes, I
have bought an engine from them and was happy).

BikeSpark wrote in message
om...
Engine: Briggs & Stratton 3.5HP on rotary mower.
Symptoms: This engine is about 10 years old. I got it going after a
neighbour had abandoned it. It has run reasonably well but never very
fast and almost no throttle control. (i.e. Either its running or
stopped.)

Recently the engine has been running very fast. This was followed by
white smoke billowing from the oil filler cap while running. I topped
up the oil but may have overdone it. Quite a bit of it got spewed out
of a joint in the oil filler tube onto the deck. I notice that the
compression is low when turning by hand. Tonight it would start run
for a few seconds and then stop.

This might be debris around the throttle linkage.

(I've taken the motor apart before and put it back together but I'm
more of an electronics guy than a motor man.)

From the symptoms I reckon that the problem might be worn piston
rings.

Q1. Is there anything else I should consider before replacing these?
Q2. Any simple way of determining the wear on the rings?

Thank you.