Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

Default Jumping a single porchlight switch from a 2 way hall switch

I have a 2-way switch in my hallway. One at the front door and one at
the back door, on the same circiut. They control 2 hallway lights, and
work perfectly. I have a double switch box installed in both places.
I am wanting to install a single switch into each box, to control the
porch lights. I need to jump the power from the 2-way circuit switch,
to the single switches.
How is this done (safely, by code) ? There are 2 black wires, 1 white,
and one ground connected on the double switch. I have 1 black, and 1
white on the porch light. The ground going to the outside base.

I have been reading other posts, and haven't seen anything to cover
this.
Also, if you are just going to call me an idiot, save your time, I
think your just an ass too. LOL. ( I've seen alot of that on here)
If you can help, please do. I had my dad explain it, and I did it like
he said, but it ain't working. ( He is a licensed electrician... don't
tell I'm asking someone else..lol)
He had me jump a wire from the bottom black screw, to the positive, and
connect the extra white to the negitive. I have tried this from both
black wires, and still have no power to the porch. HELP PLEASE. I do
know how to follow directions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Your post is not exactly clear. You have a set of three way switches
controlling two hall lights, but each of the switches are in double gang
boxes. Are there not switches already in these two gang boxes? Assuming you
have two boxes with empty spaces for switches: you want to install switches
at each box to control the porch lights. Assuming you want to set up three
way switches, so the porch lights will operate from either location, you
need a three wire cable run between the switches, you need a feed, which you
may or may not have in either of these boxes, and you need a cable going
from either box to the porch lights you want to control

"whosthat" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

Let me clarify, I have a 2 way switch in the front, in a double box,
with an empty space for another switch. Same in the back. I do not
want to control the porch lights from both ends.... I want to control
the hall from both ends, whitch it does now.. and control the porch
lights from the located end..front and back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

whosthat wrote:
[...]

Based on your words I believe you say you want to install one more
switch into each box and be able to turn the porch light on or off from
either of those two new switches.

I say that unless someone there before you left you some extra wires you
won't be able to do that without running some new wires between the two
switch boxes.

Can you do that if you need to?

I await further word on this.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

see:
http://www.electrical-online.com/how...aySwitches.htm
and:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...ures/index.htm

whosthat wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

whosthat wrote:

Let me clarify, I have a 2 way switch in the front, in a double box,
with an empty space for another switch. Same in the back. I do not
want to control the porch lights from both ends.... I want to control
the hall from both ends, whitch it does now.. and control the porch
lights from the located end..front and back.

OK, so new we understand that there are TWO porch lights, one located
somewhat near each of the two switch boxes.

It the hall lights were wired in a conventional fashion then I'm gonna
say that you probably can get the porch light adjacent to the box into
which the power feed comes working as you want.

But, because there's no need for there to be a continuously hot feed in
the second box, chances are slim to none that you can do whatyou want at
that box without running a new hot feed into it. (And Slim rode out of
town at high noon.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

I have a jumper wire for positive and negitive. (black and white.) I
know how to connect using the hole behind the screws. Just need to
know how it has to be wired. There is an extra taped off white wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

whosthat wrote:

I have a jumper wire for positive and negitive. (black and white.) I
know how to connect using the hole behind the screws. Just need to
know how it has to be wired. There is an extra taped off white wire.

Saying "jumper wire" isn't telling us much, and you're dealing with AC,
not DC so you'd be better off calling the wires hot and neutral rather
than positive and negative.

I'm gonna check out of this game now. I think you may be in over your
head and just ought to get your dad over and have him show you what to
do. And I'm betting you are going to end up having to pull some new
wires to accomplish it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

ok, i gotta get this in before game time..lol dad is in Iowa..I'm in
NC.
I got a hot jump ( extra wire from back hole to back hole) going from
the black screw to the hot on the single. (via the back holes) I got
the extra white going to the back hole on the neg, and the neg
connected from the porch connected to the neg screw on the switch. (
this is in the front, I'll worry about slim later..he always sucked
anyway...lol) I have tried the hot (positive) from both of the black
wires, neither works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

ahh a man after my heart..links to check, tell ya how it works out.
Let me know if you ever have any painting questions..

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

"I got
the extra white going to the back hole on the neg," The white wire on the
switch is NOT a neg or neutral

"whosthat" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, i gotta get this in before game time..lol dad is in Iowa..I'm in
NC.
I got a hot jump ( extra wire from back hole to back hole) going from
the black screw to the hot on the single. (via the back holes) I got
the extra white going to the back hole on the neg, and the neg
connected from the porch connected to the neg screw on the switch. (
this is in the front, I'll worry about slim later..he always sucked
anyway...lol) I have tried the hot (positive) from both of the black
wires, neither works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

" I think you may be in over your
head" = I'm too busy... so don't bother. I have had basic
electronics, and have been helping wire for years. I can totaly
understand directions. I haven't had to jump a wire yet. I will find
out how. If you want to watch the game, rather than help..just say so.
Don't insult my intelligence with the "over your head" cop out. You
don't know how much I go in my head, brother.
Love in christ

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

you got it wrong... the extra white wire is going to the hole behind
the white ( neg or return wire ) on the single switch. I was refering
to the white as neg, only because I was replying to someone who said to
do that. the white returns the power to the source... unless it is
used in a 2 or 3 way as a hot wire, in that case, it is to be wrapped
with a tab of black electrical tape to designate (or mark) it as such.
Can we get past the simple stuff, and give up an answer , as to how
this needs to be wired?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I'm sorry but judging from the answers you're giving me, it's clear you
really don't have a working knowledge of a switch circuit. I'd suggest you
get a book and do some research before you do some real damage

"whosthat" wrote in message
ups.com...
you got it wrong... the extra white wire is going to the hole behind
the white ( neg or return wire ) on the single switch. I was refering
to the white as neg, only because I was replying to someone who said to
do that. the white returns the power to the source... unless it is
used in a 2 or 3 way as a hot wire, in that case, it is to be wrapped
with a tab of black electrical tape to designate (or mark) it as such.
Can we get past the simple stuff, and give up an answer , as to how
this needs to be wired?

Posted to alt.home.repair
whosthat

I think, researching this, I need to go with the first thing I thought,
but let someone tell me different.
( I do, by the way, have more than a working knowledge of electronics.
I have had high school and 1 year of college electronics, and 15 years
of helping my dad wire. I just have not dealt with jumping lights yet.
I have successfuly jumped outlets......Regardless of who's playing
tonight..lol)
I don't think the extra white needs to be put into the circuit at all.
(I only put it there on adivice from someone else.) I think I should
have the primary hot (black screw on the 2 way) jumped to the hot on
the single switch. The other black (or hot, from the gold screw) needs
to go to the (normaly) white screw on the single switch. ( both, via a
jumper wire from the back holes on the 2 way to the screws on the
single switch.) The white from the porch light should go directly to
the extra white, via a screw cap. Grounding remains as is.... porch to
outside base, and 2 way to screw. This is what made sense to me
originally, but I let someone talk me into the non working mess I have.
I just wanted to know if it seems to make sense to anyone else, before
I "get dangerous". ( I can always undo what I have done...I'm not
going to fry the place hooking up a porch light..get real)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

whosthat wrote:
" I think you may be in over your
head" = I'm too busy... so don't bother. I have had basic
electronics, and have been helping wire for years. I can totaly
understand directions. I haven't had to jump a wire yet. I will find
out how. If you want to watch the game, rather than help..just say so.
Don't insult my intelligence with the "over your head" cop out. You
don't know how much I go in my head, brother.

Well now, that explains it...I generally "go" in a toilet and it appears
you've figured out how to "go" in your head. I won't bother explaining
what that implies that your head must be full of.... G

Anyone who insists on referring to positive and negative leads in
reference to ac circuits demonstrates a fundamental ignorance about what
they're describing.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not using the word "ignorance" in a
pejorative sense, because we're all ignorant in more subjects than we
could possibly be fully knowledgeable about. You may well be able to
follow instructions given by someone who understands what's required,
but your posts have made it clear already that you don't really
understand fundamental circuit theory. If you did, you wouldn't have to
ask how to wire things as simple as what you require, and at a minimum
would do a better job of describing just what you've got there.

Love in christ

Hopefully you'll get some hands on help before you too end up in a
position to benefit from resurrection.

Peace,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

whosthat wrote:
"OK, so new we understand "... that there are TWO porch lights, one
located
somewhat near each of the two switch boxes.

Typos, we all have them.
The word was "got" (in my head).
I use, (and can can completely install, or repair), a toilet.
Please stop nit-picking me, and assuming, that because I don't use the
"correct lingo", that I don't know what I am doing. I use the words my
dad uses. It keeps me from getting fryed by his work....lol

Do you think this will work?

I think I should:
1.Have the primary hot (black screw on the 2 way) jumped to the hot
(black wire) on
the single switch. Via running a wire from the back hole, behind the
black screw, of the 2 way, to the back hole, behind the "hot" screw, of
the single switch.

OK so far....

Having the hot (black) wire from the porch light
connected to the hot screw of the single switch.

No, the black wire from the light should go to the OTHER screw on the
single switch. You already defined the "hot" screw as the one you
connected the primary feed to.

2. The other black (or hot, from the gold screw) needs to go, (via a
jumper,or extra wire, from the back hole behind the gold screw, to the
(normaly) white wire ( or neutral) screw on the single switch.

Here's where you lose me. No other wires needs to get connected to the
single switch, (Except for a ground lead if the single switch happens to
have a grounding screw on it.) All that single switch has to do is make
and break the circuit between the primary hot wire and the black wire
going to the fixture. And, one doesn't normally see a white or neutral
lead connected to ANYTHING on a single (pole) switch, at least not
without it having been relabled as a black wire with a flag of black tape.

3. The white from the porch light should go directly to the extra
white, in the 2 way circuit, via a screw cap. Making it a direct
connection.

Probably, but ONLY if you are certain that "extra white" is really a
neutral lead which ultimately connects to a neutral buss bar in the
breaker panel. That white wire may not yet be connected to anything at
its other end.

Grounding remains as is.... porch ground to outside base of the porch
light, and 2 way to ground screw.

Sounds right.

A meter or test light to help you figure out what's what with where
those wires come and go to could be helpful. Do you have one?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 21 Apr 2006 19:10:01 -0700, "whosthat"
wrote:

you got it wrong... the extra white wire is going to the hole behind
the white ( neg or return wire ) on the single switch. I was refering

Do you mean a hole in the box or a hole in the switch? Well, it
doesn't really matter, because what is really important is, Are you
saying there are two white wires connected to the single switch?
Perchance one via a screw and one that just pushes in? Where is the
other end of the extra white wire? And what makes it extra if it is
connected to something? And what single switch are you talking about.
I thought you had not yet installed either single switch.

Well, these are rhetorical. I'm no smarter than Jeff and RBM and if
they aren't ready to help more, than neither am I.

to the white as neg, only because I was replying to someone who said to
do that.

Jeff? Jeff said the opposite, to use neutral and hot, rather than
positive or negative or return. He pointed out that it was AC current
so those terms don't really apply.

the white returns the power to the source... unless it is
used in a 2 or 3 way as a hot wire, in that case, it is to be wrapped
with a tab of black electrical tape to designate (or mark) it as such.
Can we get past the simple stuff, and give up an answer , as to how
this needs to be wired?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 21 Apr 2006 18:44:49 -0700, "whosthat"
wrote:

" I think you may be in over your
head" = I'm too busy... so don't bother.

There is a real issue here that you don't seem to notice. Moral law
says that people have a responsibility not to help someone else get in
over his head, where that can be dangerous to him or others. Others,
especially. US Law is the same, except that I don't think anyone
fears getting sued here. I think the relationship would have to be
closer between you and someone here, and you would have to have more
reason to rely on someone, for there to be any possible suit.
But the principle of US law and some of the details are the same as
moral law.

I have had basic
electronics, and have been helping wire for years. I can totaly
understand directions.

They don't want to give directions to someone who can understand
directions. Maybe if they could check every half hour or at least
verify at the end of the day what you've done, that would be ok.

But since no one here can do that, they want someone who really
understands the whole situation. Who, when he confronts something
that he didn't mention, perhaps hadn't noticed yet, will know what to
do because he understands it, and won't think he can do something he
can't safely do.

Maybe you are much further along than that, but people here aren't
sure. (The mere fact that you use the words positive and negative is
unnerving.)

I haven't had to jump a wire yet.

I only use the phrase "jump a wire" for something temporary. I don't
see any problem with jumping a wire, as long as it is for a short
time.

I will find
out how. If you want to watch the game, rather than help..just say so.

I'm pretty sure he'd be lying if he said he wasn't answering because
he wants to watch the game. You wouldn't want him to lie about this,
would you? RBM agrees with Jeff. I'm pretty much there myself.

Don't insult my intelligence with the "over your head" cop out. You
don't know how much I go in my head, brother.

Exactly, we don't know.

Love in christ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

whosthat wrote:
" I think you may be in over your
head" = I'm too busy... so don't bother. I have had basic
electronics, and have been helping wire for years. I can totaly
understand directions. I haven't had to jump a wire yet. I will find
out how. If you want to watch the game, rather than help..just say so.
Don't insult my intelligence with the "over your head" cop out. You
don't know how much I go in my head, brother.
Love in christ

Ik've been watching this since your first post. You appear to have a
basic misunderstanding of a single switch. Here is a quick diagram of
a simple switch wiring.

Hot (black)----------switch--------black--------light-----neutral
(white)

Nuetral
----------------------------------------------------------------------I

I don't know how that is going to come out but the point is you only
have ONE black wire going to the switch, one from the switch to the
light and the light then connects to the white.

When you keep referring to 2 black "positive" from the 2 way to the one
way you obviously don't understand it.

Now for your problem. Someone else way up thread already said it but I
will repeat it.

On a 2 way switch circuit you have a always HOT coming into only one of
the two switch boxes. You jumper from that wire to the single switch
and out to the porch light.

You cannot do the same in the second box as there are only switched
black wires there.

If you would drop the "positive" and "negative" and also drop the
attitude and LISTEN you might get somewhere.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 21 Apr 2006 17:05:16 -0700, "whosthat"
wrote:

[...]

Well, If you put TWO porch lights at the far end of the hall,
you can set it up so that the second switch turns on ONE of them.
(which one depending on the position of the switch at the
near end of the hall).

At that point, you could use a pair of 120V AC Relays to
drive contactors in parallel with themselves, and
join the outputs from them to drive a single lamp...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but that presumes that there's a neutral available in thet "far
end" box to connect the return of the porch light(s) to, eh?

If the hall lights were wired in a "conventional" fashion and the
installer ran a three conductor cable (with ground) to that box there
wouldn't be a neutral in there, would there?

Jeff (Who started thinking of that "clever" solution in the shower
yesterday, but then thought about whether a neutral would be available.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)