Posted to alt.home.repair
geezer

Default Need Help with Toilet Was Seal

My wife (and I love her) is on the heavy side, and so over a short
period of time her continued use of the johns in my house cause the
wax seals to begin leaking - from her weight I am thinking.

So - I have tried a couple of different types of wax rings, but they
all leak after a while. What else can I do?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

geezer wrote:

My wife (and I love her) is on the heavy side, and so over a short
period of time her continued use of the johns in my house cause the
wax seals to begin leaking - from her weight I am thinking.

So - I have tried a couple of different types of wax rings, but they
all leak after a while. What else can I do?

Weight should have nothing to do with it,
unless the floor is flexing excessively.

Now, if the toilet is "rocking" because it
is poorly anchored, that is another matter.
A rocking bowl will quickly break the seal.

Here's one of several that is not wax:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...al-112053.aspx

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

geezer wrote:
My wife (and I love her) is on the heavy side, and so over a short
period of time her continued use of the johns in my house cause the
wax seals to begin leaking - from her weight I am thinking.

So - I have tried a couple of different types of wax rings, but they
all leak after a while. What else can I do?

The site below has what I use, rocking with this type of seal will not
break the seal and it's the only type I would use from now on. No more
wax seals !!!!

http://www.hsionline.com/products/jsweave/item6439.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Speedy Jim wrote:
geezer wrote:

My wife (and I love her) is on the heavy side, and so over a short
period of time her continued use of the johns in my house cause the
wax seals to begin leaking - from her weight I am thinking.

So - I have tried a couple of different types of wax rings, but they
all leak after a while. What else can I do?

Weight should have nothing to do with it,
unless the floor is flexing excessively.

Now, if the toilet is "rocking" because it
is poorly anchored, that is another matter.
A rocking bowl will quickly break the seal.

Here's one of several that is not wax:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...al-112053.aspx

Jim

The wax ring is just a seal, the toilet dead & live load are taken
through the bowl into the floor.

The bowl / flange assembly should be secure, no movement.

A useful tip (IMO) is to pour a bucket of hot water into the bowl after
installation to help the wax ring reform itself.

cheers
Bob

If the toilet flange or toilet bowl allow mot

Posted to alt.home.repair
geezer

On 10 Apr 2006 18:49:02 -0500, Nobody You'd Know wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:50:49 GMT, geezer wrote:

My wife (and I love her) is on the heavy side, and so over a short
period of time her continued use of the johns in my house cause the
wax seals to begin leaking - from her weight I am thinking.

So - I have tried a couple of different types of wax rings, but they
all leak after a while. What else can I do?

There are some wax seals with a urethane core. It might hold up
better.

Thanks all of you. Maybe my weight assumption was incorrect. Sure
hope so. I have been in this house 6 years now. I have two johns -
both manifest same problem. I even replaced one john with an American
Standard. I even opted for what was supposed to be the better seal. I
thought I had the bases down tight - maybe I didn't. I never had this
trouble in prior house (20 years).

Thanks again

Geezer

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Joey wrote:
-snip-
The site below has what I use, rocking with this type of seal will not
break the seal and it's the only type I would use from now on. No more
wax seals !!!!

http://www.hsionline.com/products/jsweave/item6439.htm

I agree-- I used one a month ago when I started working on my tiny
bathroom. As it turned out i had to take the toilet out a half
dozen times during the course of the job. [I'm slow & the Mrs.
wanted a handy toilet no matter what the room looked like.]

It was not only the most economical way- [at the Borg- $6 once instead
of $4 6 times]- there was no messy wax every time I moved the toilet.

I don't see a disadvantage to the rubber rings yet-- though time will
tell if the rubber holds up under those conditions for as long as the
wax.

It would certainly take care of a 'rocking toilet' leak-- but if the
toilet is rocking, chances are there is a subfloor problem. [or the
house is settling and the plumbing isn't]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Bob,

Are you sure about using hot water? I thought toilets could be cracked by
pouring hot water into them. Is this done by plumbers?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

David Martel wrote:
Bob,

Are you sure about using hot water? I thought toilets could be cracked by
pouring hot water into them. Is this done by plumbers?

Dave M.

That's a good point about the hot water.

I take an extra wax ring and heat it with
a hair dryer. Then use a putty knife to smear
softened wax around the bowl outlet "horn".
Work it into the porcelain surface so it has
good adhesion. Then stick a fresh wax ring onto
the horn and work it around to get a good seal.

Use the putty knife to apply soft wax to the flange as well.
When you drop the bowl down onto the flange, twist it back and
forth. You wind up with a seal that is close to "forever".
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
geezer

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:57:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Joey wrote:
-snip-
The site below has what I use, rocking with this type of seal will not
break the seal and it's the only type I would use from now on. No more
wax seals !!!!

http://www.hsionline.com/products/jsweave/item6439.htm

Thanks

I looked at the site and I guess I'll order two.

Geezer

I agree-- I used one a month ago when I started working on my tiny
bathroom. As it turned out i had to take the toilet out a half
dozen times during the course of the job. [I'm slow & the Mrs.
wanted a handy toilet no matter what the room looked like.]

It was not only the most economical way- [at the Borg- $6 once instead
of $4 6 times]- there was no messy wax every time I moved the toilet.

I don't see a disadvantage to the rubber rings yet-- though time will
tell if the rubber holds up under those conditions for as long as the
wax.

It would certainly take care of a 'rocking toilet' leak-- but if the
toilet is rocking, chances are there is a subfloor problem. [or the
house is settling and the plumbing isn't]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago a similar problem drove me nuts. The cause was determined to
be an extra plastic horn stuck to the toilet.
Between the two horns there was no seal.
Make sure you are cleaning the bottom of the toilet well and that the
floor framing is up to the task. Given a choice between plain wax
gasket and wax gasket with horn take the horn.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Plate

I would have to agree with the above comments on transitioning from wax
rings over to a more resilient conduit from the basin to your drain. I
have over time rotated out almost all of the wax rings in my apartment
units to a waxless model. I have not used the particular model
(Ultraseal) mentioned above but it actually looks better and cheaper
then the ones I have been purchasing. I have not had any leaks to date
and I recommend this practice. Wax rings were a good solution back
when pvc and rubber were not available and the only methods of
connection were lead and cast iron. Besides cleaning wax rings off
just stinks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
geezer

On 11 Apr 2006 08:54:46 -0700, "Mike Plate"
wrote:

I would have to agree with the above comments on transitioning from wax
rings over to a more resilient conduit from the basin to your drain. I
have over time rotated out almost all of the wax rings in my apartment
units to a waxless model. I have not used the particular model
(Ultraseal) mentioned above but it actually looks better and cheaper
then the ones I have been purchasing. I have not had any leaks to date
and I recommend this practice. Wax rings were a good solution back
when pvc and rubber were not available and the only methods of
connection were lead and cast iron. Besides cleaning wax rings off
just stinks!

I have ordered a pair, one for each of my toilets. Thanks for your
interest.

Geezer
Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

David Martel wrote:
Bob,

Are you sure about using hot water? I thought toilets could be cracked by
pouring hot water into them. Is this done by plumbers?

Dave M.

I was taught to do this but I used hot water out of the tap ~120 - 130F
not boiling water off a stove.

I haven't done all that many toilet re-set so maybe my experience &
techinique is more superstition & old wives' tale

Any one else have a negative experience with hot water into a toilet

btw since I'm in SoCal even our cold water isn't all that cold

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

Any one else have a negative experience with hot water into a toilet

Had a builder mis-plumb an upstairs toilet to the hot-water line,
does that count as negative?

Never had a problem with the tank sweating, but your skin would
get a little dewy when you sat down.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
geezer

Default WARNING! DO NOT BUY FROM HSIONLINE or JS WEAVE!

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:57:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Joey wrote:
-snip-
The site below has what I use, rocking with this type of seal will not
break the seal and it's the only type I would use from now on. No more
wax seals !!!!

http://www.hsionline.com/products/jsweave/item6439.htm

Thanks Joey (I guess)

DO NOT BUY FROM

JS Weave ===========================
15 King St.
St. Catharines, Ontario, L2R 3H1
Canada

Tel: not available
Fax: (905) 685-8010

OR HSIONLINE.COM ===========================

One orders the toilet items via
http://www.hsionline.com/products/jsweave/item6439.htm ==========

A month ago I ordered two of the UltraSeal Water Closet Connector 7720
and received the normal e-mail order confirmation.

I have never received the items. I have emailed a direct query three
times to ==============================
and have received absolutely no reply.
I faxed a copy of my confirmation to (905) 685-8010 and I also never
received any response.
I think it is interesting that they do not even list a voice phone
number that one can reach them on.

I also notice that HSIONLINE shows almost nothing on Mr. Weave. When
you go to his listings under HSIONLINE, it only shows the sketchy info
above, and no other items. Makes one wonder.

Just want to warn everybody. There may be an explanation for all
this, but I can't get any.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

"geezer" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:57:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Joey wrote:
-snip-
[...]

Registrant:
HSI Online
ATTN: HSIONLINE.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Domain Name: HSIONLINE.COM

Administrative Contact :
Savio, John

ATTN: HSIONLINE.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
Phone: 570-708-8780

Technical Contact :
Marshall, Tim

ATTN: HSIONLINE.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
Phone: 570-708-8780

Posted to alt.home.repair
Victor

On Sat, 13 May 2006 09:19:38 -0400, "Brian V"
wrote:

"geezer" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:57:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Joey wrote:
-snip-
[...]

I called, but they don't work weekends of course. So I emailed both.

toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
How to seal up a leaky toilet tank? Rev. J. Toad Home Repair 8 February 6th 06 04:39 PM
Toilet flange wax seal LOKI Home Repair 4 June 11th 05 08:34 PM
preventing sewer gas once toilet wax seal removed Rald Home Repair 8 January 9th 05 04:11 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM