Posted to alt.home.repair
Rev. J. Toad

Default How to seal up a leaky toilet tank?

Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you cleaned everything up good, that's usually enough. If they didn't use
rubber washers the first time, maybe the tank is cracked.

"Rev. J. Toad" wrote in message
news
Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building
more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Same thing happenned to me years ago. Dried up the tank and siliconed the
bolts from inside. Leak's gone...

Rich
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
====================================

"Bob" wrote in message
If you cleaned everything up good, that's usually enough. If they didn't
use
rubber washers the first time, maybe the tank is cracked.

"Rev. J. Toad" wrote in message
news
Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by
building

more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

toilet parts are so inexpensive but when your home in a one-holer the
pressure for fast repair is up full blast.
the pdf at this link gives the perfect proper sequence of the bolts and
their rubber washers, so save it!
http://www.fluidmaster.com/pdf/6102_instructions.pdf
all parts and knowledge on repairing our twenty toilets is at:
www.fluidmaster.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:43:01 -0600, Rev. J. Toad
wrote:

Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

YES.
You will have to disassemble it again, be sure everything is 100%
clean and dry. Apply 100% pure silicone to both sides of the rubber
washers, under the bolt heads, etc. Reinstall adn you should be fine.
I have done this. It works

Be sure bolts are tight, but dont over tighten. Silicone is slippery
and the rubbers will expand and slide right out from under the bolt
heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Rev. J. Toad wrote:
Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

The key is to have the correct size rubber
washers, put them where they go and use the
correct size steel washers in the right place.
Tighten firmly but not so much as to crack the tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bones001

use LSX

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use that silicone bathtub caulk every time I have one apart, use it
too on those cheesy sink drains.

easer to silicone it in the first place, saves disassembly later

I absolutely hate doing the same job twice

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey

"Rev. J. Toad" wrote:

Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

Any silicone sealant that says it's for bathroom, tub and tile should work. Or you can try "Amazing Goop"
(that's it's actual name) for plumbing.

new Kohler toilet tank leaks - is fill valve pre-installed? [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 23rd 05 03:33 AM
Leaky Toilet Dan Birchall Home Repair 0 June 26th 05 08:04 PM
After fifteen minutes, Kohler toilet water tank keeps overflowing. Frank Home Repair 4 August 30th 04 08:41 PM
Residential water pressure design - Help Peter Neubert Home Repair 3 August 14th 04 03:09 PM
Toilet hidden system tank. Steve UK diy 3 August 1st 03 12:39 AM