Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to seal up a leaky toilet tank?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:43:01 -0600, Rev. J. Toad
wrote:

Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

YES.
You will have to disassemble it again, be sure everything is 100%
clean and dry. Apply 100% pure silicone to both sides of the rubber
washers, under the bolt heads, etc. Reinstall adn you should be fine.
I have done this. It works

Be sure bolts are tight, but dont over tighten. Silicone is slippery
and the rubbers will expand and slide right out from under the bolt
heads.