Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default How to seal up a leaky toilet tank?

Rev. J. Toad wrote:
Hey folks... my toilet tank is leaking out of one of the boltholes. I
believe that the reason for this is that when it was installed, they
didn't use those rubbery washers that you're supposed to use. I added
them, and it's still leaking (very slow leak).

Ideally, I'd like to get away with not replacing the tank, so I'm
thinking that if I dry it off and use some kind of silicon or
something around the hole, it should seal it up. Any suggestions as to
what product I should use, or alternative ideas? Thanks folk.

"Fighting crime by building more jails is like fighting cancer by building more cemeteries." - Paul Kelly

The key is to have the correct size rubber
washers, put them where they go and use the
correct size steel washers in the right place.
Tighten firmly but not so much as to crack the tank.