Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Need Help with Toilet Was Seal

David Martel wrote:
Bob,

Are you sure about using hot water? I thought toilets could be cracked by
pouring hot water into them. Is this done by plumbers?

Dave M.

That's a good point about the hot water.

I take an extra wax ring and heat it with
a hair dryer. Then use a putty knife to smear
softened wax around the bowl outlet "horn".
Work it into the porcelain surface so it has
good adhesion. Then stick a fresh wax ring onto
the horn and work it around to get a good seal.

Use the putty knife to apply soft wax to the flange as well.
When you drop the bowl down onto the flange, twist it back and
forth. You wind up with a seal that is close to "forever".
Jim