Posted to alt.home.repair
Loc Swim

Default Can someone recover damages for my plants growing on their property?

I have this crazy neighbor that I'm trying hard to live with. Worse
then a problem with a wife ( at least you have a chance of some
benefits from the wife.)

Anyway, Crazy Neighbor started ranting at me this morning when I got
the paper ( I swear she looks out the window and waits for me.) Her
complaint was some of bamboo ( I guess that is what it is ) in my yard
has sprouted in her yard 2-3 yards from the fence. She said she had
to have her "yard man" poison it and she wanted me to pay for the
Round Up.

I'm new to the neighborhood and I don't want to make waves, but I have
no idea of paying crazy neighbor. I realize she can sue me for
anything she wants but that doesn't mean she will win or recover $$
for any damages.

As I said, she is crazy. As in the Bat **** Crazy / Mean Crazy, not
the "Ol she is a sweat Little Old Lady" - don't mind the 50 cats in
her house, she is a little off.

So, does anyone know if I would be irresponsible for my plants growing
into her yard? I know that laws vary from State to State and county
to county, but in general, can someone give me some advice regarding
this?

LS
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Loc Swim wrote:
[...]

It will depend on local laws, but my guess is she may be able to win.
Bamboo is considered a nuisance and may be illegal or require the owner to
control it to their property. That stuff can be very invasive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Can someone recover damages for my plants growing on theirprop...

Buy your self a camcorder, it looks like you will have years of crap
from the lady. You never know how things can escalate, harassment is a
crime, so are frivolus charges. Its happened to me and photos are
helping. Did you plant the bamboo, call your city monday, here it would
not be an issue. Offer her a bottle of roundup, just empty it and put
in water if you feel harassed. Ask her for a reciept from the garden
man, maybe she is BSn you, then offer her roundup, or Fertiliser in the
bottle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Loc Swim wrote:
[...]

There was this exact case on the Peoples Court last week, which makes
me wonder if this is a put up job. The people were from NJ and both
owned expensive waterfront properties. One neighbor is an obivous
buffoon and planted 350 ft of bamboo right at their property line. The
next door neighbor had enough and sued for the cost of putting up a
steel barrier to keep it out. He won a judgement of $5000, because of
exactly what is stated above.

And I think this is right. There are some plants that are so
invasive, that if anyone plants them, I think it is their
responsibility to keep them controlled.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Loc Swim wrote:

[...]

Bamboo can be exceedingly invasive and difficult to get rid of. If you
have a local nursery that sells it, perhaps they can give you tips on
how to remove or control it. Some varieties grow in a nice little clump
and do not spread at all. It might be possible, if you like it, to sink
something into the ground to limit root growth along the property line.
There is a lot of crap that grows nicely in pots in the house, but is
an invasive and destructive weed in the wild. Heard of kudzu? Nice
house plant ) Your neighbor may just be frustrated with having had an
ignoramus who planted weeds - give her a chance. Some localities have
very strict zoning laws about what can and cannot be planted; California
comes to mind. If I spent several thousand dollars or hours on my
landscaping, I would not be happy with the "plant from hell" spreading
into my yard )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Loc Swim" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting question.
She has the right to trim a tree growing over into her yard, but cannot
compel you to do it or charge you for it; the growth is seen as an act of
nature.
By analogy, I would say she has a right to kill the bamboo (and yours, if
that is an inevitable consequence of killing hers) but not to charge you.
Sure, bamboo is invasive, and you should have seen it would happen. But
trees get big, and that is foreseeable also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Loc Swim" wrote in message

So, does anyone know if I would be irresponsible for my plants growing
into her yard? I know that laws vary from State to State and county
to county, but in general, can someone give me some advice regarding
this?

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt she can do much. Just look around at nature
and how plants and trees are grown in the wild. Seeds are carried by the
wind, in bird droppings, etc. As a good neighbor, you should do what you
can to stop the spread. Sometimes you cant as the roots travel underground
and pop up in strange spots.

Let me know if she prevails. If so, I want all my neighbors to remove the
weeds from my lawn because I'm sure they started out in theirs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Very interesting. This could be a court case and it could go either
way. It is a well-known fact that bamboo can cause extensive damage
to property due to the aggressive nature of the plant. The plant can
easily travel underground 15 feet or so and grow through asphalt and
break up concrete. If it were me, I'd cut the bamboo back several
feet from the property line or if you don't want to maintain it remove
it altogether. In any event it's always good to try to get along
with neighbors. Bake her with a tray of brownies and tell her you
intend to control your bamboo.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

I wonder if it matters, legally, whether she first asked you to abate
the nuisance. Perhaps if she didn't ask, she doesn't have a case.

Loc Swim wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Loc Swim" wrote in message

So, does anyone know if I would be irresponsible for my plants growing
into her yard? I know that laws vary from State to State and county
to county, but in general, can someone give me some advice regarding
this?

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt she can do much. Just look around at nature
and how plants and trees are grown in the wild. Seeds are carried by the
wind, in bird droppings, etc. As a good neighbor, you should do what
you can to stop the spread. Sometimes you cant as the roots travel
underground and pop up in strange spots.

Let me know if she prevails. If so, I want all my neighbors to remove the
weeds from my lawn because I'm sure they started out in theirs.

Good one Ed! Hope that weed idea isn't copyrighted, I want to use it
myself.

If the 50 cat number is valid maybe a call to the animal control officer???
The best defense ... is a strong offense, she won't be bothering you if
she's defending against the city/county for an animal control problem/mental
eval/public health problem case.

Someone else suggested baking brownies, maybe you could give her the Roundup
in there? g

What do the other neighbors say?

WHERE THE HELL IS JUDGE WAPNER WHEN WE NEED HIM!!! That's right he's doing
animals now on Animal Planet, maybe he could still help?!

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"Loc Swim" wrote in message
[...]

Loc:

What state or province are you located in? City and county would help too.
(Not trying to find you, we have enough crazies here in Washington without
yours!) but if you give us some more info a quick web search may answer your
question.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Yea bake her brownies, put some pot in them, keep her real happy. Maybe
shes out of booze to. Next time at 7am offer her a beer. Plant catnip,
that will make her cats nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

HeyBub wrote:

The problem is not the bamboo, the problem is the whack-job living
next door. You've got to nip this in the bud, if you'll forgive the
metaphor.

You clearly don't know bamboo.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
Loc Swim wrote:

can someone give me some advice regarding this?

I expect you are NOT responsible for anything growing in her yard. Period.

During a bad storm, when my neighbor's tree split in half, the half that fell
in my yard and on my deck became MY responsibility. (Act of God, yadda, yadda)

Your biggest concern appears to be the WACKO neighbor, herself.

I can deal with most unreasonable people but a bona fide CRAZY person is
another story. You should discuss your concerns with the local police. At
least, they will be aware of your concerns should the situation deteriorate.

Obtain all necessary permits and built the tallest, LEGAL privacy fence
between your properties. Good luck.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Loc Swim wrote:
[...]

IMO she can't charge you. But you say you are new to the neighborhood
which means you didn't plant that crap. If I were you, I would be
doing my best to get rid of it. Not for the neighbor's benefit but for
yours. Who needs something that is going to take over your yard? It
isn't easy to eradicate but every year you wait makes it harder.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,

I expect you are NOT responsible for anything growing in her yard.
Period.

During a bad storm, when my neighbor's tree split in half, the half
that fell in my yard and on my deck became MY responsibility. (Act
of God, yadda, yadda)

In general you are right, but I suspect that IF your neighbor's tree had
shown evidence of rot and a reasonable expectation that it would fall on
your property and cause damage, then it would have been your neighbor's
responsibility. Bamboo is usually a known problem and is even listed as
such in some codes. Where I live, you can be at fault if you allow large
quantities of dandelions in your yard. It does not happen often, but it
has.

I would also like to note that it is wise to make other considerations
about being a good neighbor. First you never know about crazy neighbors and
what they may do. It often is safer to go along with any reasonable
request. A good neighbor is a valuable asset and allowing your bamboo to
invade their yard is not really fair or just.

I suspect many of those who are reading this do not understand just how
bad bamboo can be.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
Loc Swim wrote:
[...]

And in the legal opinion of Marilyn Millian on the People's Court, she
not only can pursue it, but can prevail. As I posted earlier, they
had this exact case on that show last week, which makes me think this
post may not be real. A neighbor planted bamboo along 350 ft of
property line and it invaded the neighbor's yard. After trying to
reason with the person, the neighbor sued and based on NJ law, Millian
awarded him $5000, which was the max and would only cover part of the
cost of putting in a metal barrier to stop it.

I agree with Joseph on this one. Many people obviously don't
understand the nature of Bamboo. This ia a rapidly growing, invasive
plant. It's not easy to control and can't be compared to having a
neighbor's tree branch growing over the property line. Tree branches
can be cut back maybe once every couple years, if that, to keep them
under control. Also, even if left alone, they can only grow so far.
Bamboo will just keep going and spreading and will quickly overtake an
entire backyard if not stopped.

The fact that the neighbor just wants the cost of some Roundup is most
reasonable. However, you can expect that it's gonna need to be sprayed
every few months during the growing season. Which begs the obvious
question of what is going on with the bamboo in the yard of the person
asking this question? What keeps it from spreading there? If it were
me, I'd pay the neighbor for the Roundup and then get some myself and
eliminate what essentially is an out of control weed once and for all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

does bamboo grow outside in pittsburgh?
it sounds excellent for a obvious use

This must be a realtive of planting a weeping willow right above a main
sewer line...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
Loc Swim wrote:

can someone give me some advice regarding this?

I expect you are NOT responsible for anything growing in her yard. Period.

During a bad storm, when my neighbor's tree split in half, the half that fell
in my yard and on my deck became MY responsibility. (Act of God, yadda, yadda)

Your biggest concern appears to be the WACKO neighbor, herself.

I can deal with most unreasonable people but a bona fide CRAZY person is
another story. You should discuss your concerns with the local police. At
least, they will be aware of your concerns should the situation deteriorate.

Obtain all necessary permits and built the tallest, LEGAL privacy fence
between your properties. Good luck.

It's a little bit like having a dog chained in my yard, with the chain
allowing him to cross the line into the neighbor's yard and take a dump.
Obviously, bamboo isn't going to harm anyone, but it can ruin
landscaping that has very substantial value .. maybe even muck up sewer
lines, sprinkler system.

I did a quick Google search for links about eliminating pesty bamboo.
According to Texas extension service, "Some bamboos SHOULD NEVER be
planted this side of Hell!!!" Link to article:
http://www.plantanswers.com/bamboo.htm

I've had experience with neighbors who did intentional damage, with
people who resort to assault, and "crazy" is a favorite defense. The
neighbor isn't telling the OP what to do with his property, simply
trying to take care of her own.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

I would also like to note that it is wise to make other considerations
about being a good neighbor. First you never know about crazy neighbors and
what they may do. It often is safer to go along with any reasonable
request.

As usual, I agree. A little consideration can go a LONG way. It might be
WAAAAY cheaper to pay for the Roundup than what may otherwise transpire.

I suspect many of those who are reading this do not understand
just how bad bamboo can be.

You are right. I had NO idea. We don't get much bamboo in Nebraska. g
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

I think its pretty widely accepted that if you have a tree that
overhangs the property line, and perhaps does damage, such a rubbing on
a roof, the neighbor can demand that you trim the tree back to the
boundary, and if you don't, can have it trimmed and recover the cost
from you.

Why would an invasive harmful plant be treated any differently?

Loc Swim wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry K:
[...]

I have to agree with the guys above, and say that the neighbor lady,
whatever her social skills might be, has a real reason to be upset about the
bamboo. Anyone who has ever tried to get rid of bamboo on their property
would feel the same. It is a terrible plant to have in the yard, and I
don't understand why *both* parties aren't diggin the damn things up. OP,
if you're still here (and not a People's Court troll), I would really
recommend that you not only help your neighbor get rid of hers, but also get
rid of yours. In my FL house, we had a patch of bamboo that took digging up
that section of the yard to finally get rid of it. Even Round Up didn't do
it.

Getting upset over a tree branch, yeah, that would make her a whacko.
Bamboo, however, is entirely different.

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a pesky neighbor. once she complained I hadnt cleaned up the
leaves in my yard, but we had snow the previous weekend. It was the
first week of april in pittsburgh, she had $$ and had a lawn service do
her yard right before the snow.

maybe its just me but my back yard that abutted her yard....

I cut that grass the 4th of july, the first cut of the year. I had a
tough time getting thru the knee high grass.

when people complain I get less responsive......

this happened a bunch of times with her eventually she quit talking to
me, at least that way I didnt hear her complaints

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:38:27 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,

[...]

You are absolutely right. Ask any landscaper what a bamboo barrier is.
He will know.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/barrier.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Loc Swim wrote:
Ok guys thanks for the many responses. (I posted the original message)
But let me ask this:

I just bought the house and it was there. How do I know it didn't
come from her yard? There is a large wooden fence between the yards.
Wouldn't she have to prove it came from my yard?

Also, while researching this plant, it is bamboo. But I learned not
all bamboo is so invasive. ONLY SOME of the bamboos run.
I looked on the web and found some that are NON-invasive and get very
tall - really nice looking plants.

And for the sake of argument. Say I decided to plant an invasive
bamboo but too the effort to contain it with a divider I've seen on
the bamboo sites. If it then got out would I be more at fault ( you
knew it was so bad that it had to be contained and you failed to do a
good enough job) or less at fault ( you put forth the effort to keep
it from spreading and somehow it got out, and act of God.)?????
I don't know. But I cant tell you the people that have helped me with
this problem are some of the most intelligent to every answer any of
my questions. And not a flame or personal attack in the whole bunch.
You people rock!!

Loc Swim

I think of some plants just as I think of rats, mice, roaches .. they
are invasive pests that can do considerable damage. Florida has lots of
serious pest problems, plant and animal. Folks get exotic stuff, don't
care to keep it and turn it loose. Pythons. Poison toads. Eels.
Monitor lizards.

I don't understand your position about who put it there .. that seems
like it should be assumed, since the neighbor is so unhappy about it.
If you think in terms of the damage it can do to both of you, you might
discover you have a mutual interest and that cooperating will benefit
both of you.

One of the nastier plants in my neighborhood is asparagus fern (not a
real fern), a pot plant that is very popular. It has many, many tubers,
tough roots, lots of berries and takes over hedges. Nasty looking, too.
A lot of invasive plants crowd out the natural plants and change the
wildlife balance, though bamboo may not be in that category. I love the
look of bamboo plants, and recently visited a nursery that sells a
number of varieties that aren't invasive. I would cut it all down, then
use Roundup when you get some new leaf growth. Probably would take a
number of applications to get rid of the plant entirely. Better than
digging up the yard after it starts cracking your driveway or foundation )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Loc Swim wrote:
Ok guys thanks for the many responses. (I posted the original message)
But let me ask this:

I just bought the house and it was there. How do I know it didn't
come from her yard? There is a large wooden fence between the yards.
Wouldn't she have to prove it came from my yard?

You will need to check locally with a legal professional to determine
liability. It will be different in different areas.

I suspect that you will not be held liable for what happed before you
purchased the property, but there are some strange laws around.

If it were me, I think I would start by checking with your local county
extension office. They can give you some free good advice about how to
eliminate the pest (the bamboo not the neighbor) and then approach the
neighbor with the idea of working together to eliminate it from both yards
as eliminating it from one will do no good. Sharing the solution will prove
much more effective and it could go a long way towards building a good
relationship. If the relationship is already strained, you might want to
use the approach that you did not know how much of a pest bamboo was and now
you do and would like to work with her. Hopefully she will see the light.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Unless you see rot on a tree or a dead branch and notify your neighbor
in writing with recorded, proof of service, they have no responsibility,
a photo helps confirm this. Otherwise it is an act of God.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you might call your homeowners insurance company and ask. they are
probably experts on stuff like this.

call your local agrictural extension office and they can help you
identify which species of bamboo you have and how best to keep it in
check

Brand-new local build, or established property for quick sale later? MM UK diy 21 October 17th 04 11:35 PM
Property Border Lines KAB Home Repair 13 July 3rd 04 03:48 PM
Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4 Mike Mitchell UK diy 381 January 12th 04 12:45 PM
NH property value assessed HOW? no1herenow Home Ownership 7 July 3rd 03 03:13 PM