Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can someone recover damages for my plants growing on their property?

Harry K wrote:
Loc Swim wrote:
I have this crazy neighbor that I'm trying hard to live with. Worse
then a problem with a wife ( at least you have a chance of some
benefits from the wife.)

Anyway, Crazy Neighbor started ranting at me this morning when I got
the paper ( I swear she looks out the window and waits for me.) Her
complaint was some of bamboo ( I guess that is what it is ) in my yard
has sprouted in her yard 2-3 yards from the fence. She said she had
to have her "yard man" poison it and she wanted me to pay for the
Round Up.

I'm new to the neighborhood and I don't want to make waves, but I have
no idea of paying crazy neighbor. I realize she can sue me for
anything she wants but that doesn't mean she will win or recover $$
for any damages.

As I said, she is crazy. As in the Bat **** Crazy / Mean Crazy, not
the "Ol she is a sweat Little Old Lady" - don't mind the 50 cats in
her house, she is a little off.

So, does anyone know if I would be irresponsible for my plants growing
into her yard? I know that laws vary from State to State and county
to county, but in general, can someone give me some advice regarding
this?

LS

IMO she can't charge you. But you say you are new to the neighborhood
which means you didn't plant that crap. If I were you, I would be
doing my best to get rid of it. Not for the neighbor's benefit but for
yours. Who needs something that is going to take over your yard? It
isn't easy to eradicate but every year you wait makes it harder.

Harry K

And in the legal opinion of Marilyn Millian on the People's Court, she
not only can pursue it, but can prevail. As I posted earlier, they
had this exact case on that show last week, which makes me think this
post may not be real. A neighbor planted bamboo along 350 ft of
property line and it invaded the neighbor's yard. After trying to
reason with the person, the neighbor sued and based on NJ law, Millian
awarded him $5000, which was the max and would only cover part of the
cost of putting in a metal barrier to stop it.

I agree with Joseph on this one. Many people obviously don't
understand the nature of Bamboo. This ia a rapidly growing, invasive
plant. It's not easy to control and can't be compared to having a
neighbor's tree branch growing over the property line. Tree branches
can be cut back maybe once every couple years, if that, to keep them
under control. Also, even if left alone, they can only grow so far.
Bamboo will just keep going and spreading and will quickly overtake an
entire backyard if not stopped.

The fact that the neighbor just wants the cost of some Roundup is most
reasonable. However, you can expect that it's gonna need to be sprayed
every few months during the growing season. Which begs the obvious
question of what is going on with the bamboo in the yard of the person
asking this question? What keeps it from spreading there? If it were
me, I'd pay the neighbor for the Roundup and then get some myself and
eliminate what essentially is an out of control weed once and for all.