Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can someone recover damages for my plants growing on their property?

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Loc Swim wrote:
I have this crazy neighbor that I'm trying hard to live with. Worse
then a problem with a wife ( at least you have a chance of some
benefits from the wife.)

Anyway, Crazy Neighbor started ranting at me this morning when I got
the paper ( I swear she looks out the window and waits for me.) Her
complaint was some of bamboo ( I guess that is what it is ) in my yard
has sprouted in her yard 2-3 yards from the fence. She said she had
to have her "yard man" poison it and she wanted me to pay for the
Round Up.

I'm new to the neighborhood and I don't want to make waves, but I have
no idea of paying crazy neighbor. I realize she can sue me for
anything she wants but that doesn't mean she will win or recover $$
for any damages.

As I said, she is crazy. As in the Bat **** Crazy / Mean Crazy, not
the "Ol she is a sweat Little Old Lady" - don't mind the 50 cats in
her house, she is a little off.

So, does anyone know if I would be irresponsible for my plants growing
into her yard? I know that laws vary from State to State and county
to county, but in general, can someone give me some advice regarding
this?

LS

It will depend on local laws, but my guess is she may be able to win.
Bamboo is considered a nuisance and may be illegal or require the owner to
control it to their property. That stuff can be very invasive.

There was this exact case on the Peoples Court last week, which makes
me wonder if this is a put up job. The people were from NJ and both
owned expensive waterfront properties. One neighbor is an obivous
buffoon and planted 350 ft of bamboo right at their property line. The
next door neighbor had enough and sued for the cost of putting up a
steel barrier to keep it out. He won a judgement of $5000, because of
exactly what is stated above.

And I think this is right. There are some plants that are so
invasive, that if anyone plants them, I think it is their
responsibility to keep them controlled.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit