Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

Default Garbage disposal stuck

Our kitchen sink has a garbage disposal that is stuck or not working.
It is an InSinkErator Badger 5 model. My wife says that a service rep
who came out the last time it malfunctioned said that all he had to do
was press a reset button. But I cannot locate it. Can anyone instruct
me? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:16:28 -0800, tenplay wrote:

Our kitchen sink has a garbage disposal that is stuck or not working.
It is an InSinkErator Badger 5 model. My wife says that a service rep
who came out the last time it malfunctioned said that all he had to do
was press a reset button. But I cannot locate it. Can anyone instruct
me? Thanks.

It's little, red, and I think it is on the bottom of the unit. Only
2mm iirc. If you don't have any other mirror, your wife probably has
a mirror in her compact. Mirrors are very useful. Or just feel
around.

Also if it is jambed there is hex shaped socket in the bottom which
accepts an Allen wrench or the special insinkerator wrench. Turn it
back and forth until it turns freely.

(My mother gave me a stack of about 6 mirrors that came with purses
she bought over the years. I've been using them for 40 years and
haven't broken one yet. At this rate they'll last me 240 years, at
least.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

tenplay wrote:

Our kitchen sink has a garbage disposal that is stuck or not working. It
is an InSinkErator Badger 5 model. My wife says that a service rep who
came out the last time it malfunctioned said that all he had to do was
press a reset button. But I cannot locate it. Can anyone instruct me?
Thanks.

Hmmm.
Ever read a manual for it? When it's not popped, harder to feel but it's
underneath. Use a mirror with flash light. And find and keep that hand
crank hex key to use it when jammed.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Tony Hwang wrote:
tenplay wrote:

Our kitchen sink has a garbage disposal that is stuck or not working. It
is an InSinkErator Badger 5 model. My wife says that a service rep who
came out the last time it malfunctioned said that all he had to do was
press a reset button. But I cannot locate it. Can anyone instruct me?
Thanks.

Hmmm.
Ever read a manual for it? When it's not popped, harder to feel but it's
underneath. Use a mirror with flash light. And find and keep that hand
crank hex key to use it when jammed.
Tony

How old? Just had a clients InSinkErator 333 Pro (pro model of the 444)
go bad. It was humming and I thought good easy fix. Got the hex tool
from the lady (she had no idea what it was for but kept everything). It
turned freely however. I opened up the electrical input plate and it
was full of water. So was the motor housing. She called InSinkErator
and was told her warranty was a year past, 4 years I think. I Googled
that model, esp places like Epinions. Then emailed their customer
service including a known history of this leaking, how the dripping
water had ruined her cabinet, how dangerous this was in the electrics
etc. They responded the next day and promptly sent out a brand new unit
with apologies. Uhh same model unfortunately but it was free.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

Default Fixed!!

mm wrote:
[...]

Yep, we pressed the little red reset button and it works fine again.
Glad that's all it was. Thanks, everyone for responding.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

tenplay wrote:

Yep, we pressed the little red reset button and it works fine again.
Glad that's all it was. Thanks, everyone for responding.

Thank you for returning to tell us the outcome. Not everyone is that
considerate.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
tenplay wrote:

Our kitchen sink has a garbage disposal that is stuck or not working. It
is an InSinkErator Badger 5 model. My wife says that a service rep who
came out the last time it malfunctioned said that all he had to do was
press a reset button. But I cannot locate it. Can anyone instruct me?
Thanks.

Hmmm.
Ever read a manual for it? When it's not popped, harder to feel but it's
underneath. Use a mirror with flash light. And find and keep that hand
crank hex key to use it when jammed.
Tony

And a couple of other things...........................

Get a ratchet with a long extension. Get the socket for the turntable that
spins in there. When it is really stuck, sticking the ratchet and socket in
from the top and twisting it backwards will usually free up the spinner.

Get a flashlight and a long set of forceps. Look into the top when
something gets in there, and use the forceps to get it out.

I had always had luck in just grinding up what was in there without having
to reach in there and actually pull it out. My fat hand will just barely go
in there, and it is painful and difficult to reach in there and get things
by the very tips of my fingers. But I can do it. So, mainly I use the
flashlight and forceps method. But, when it spins, I just usually let it
grind up the offending food part.

A few weeks ago, something was rattling around in my dishwasher. I turned
it on, and figured it would grind up whatever it was. It was a small
colored rock from my driveway. I do not know how it got in there. It spun
perfectly in the space between the spinner and the outside case. It poked a
nice hole in there. Water, water everywhere under the sink, counter, and
floor.

Time for a new disposal. Well, it was time anyway, but you hate for it to
go that way.

So, use the additional tips I posted here. Ratchet, flashlight, and
forceps.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
mm wrote:
[...]

Still, get a small flashlight and long set of forceps to retrieve stuff that
goes down and won't grind up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Thanks for the tips about th forceps and he ratchet extension.

I'd never thought about those.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

tenplay wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
garbagehands

The below is a guide on how to remove a dime from your Badger 5-81
Insinkerator.

You will need the following things:

Small hands
Strong fingers
The Allen wrench dealie that comes with your badger.
A flat head screw driver
A pair of needle-nose pliers
A working flashlight
A chisel
and ultimately A hammer

To be fair it is only in the extreme situation in which a dime is
wedged between the drain and the turning mechanism of the Badger In
which this technique is necessary.

Step 1. Use the Flashlight and locate the dime.

Step 2. Once located take a screw driver and attempt to wedge the
flathead against the wall of your insinkerator and the dime. Using
leverage bend the dime out toward the center of the sink.

Step 3. Place your small hand inside the garbage disposal and attempt
to grasp the coin and pull it out with your strong fingers.

ATTENTION: the makers of inskerator strongly urge you to never place
your hands in the garbage disposal. Although this is wise advice
(especially if your garbage disposal is in the on position). what the
makers of the badger 5-81 don’t tell you is that although you may have
a warranty for 2 years that warranty is null and void if "foreign
objects" are lodged in your machine. With a service charge of
something like 150 bucks to remove 10 cents. You might also find this
technique more lucrative.

Step 4. Take your left hand place it inside the drain grasping the
coin, and your right hand under the sink with the Allen wrench dealie
firmly in place. SLOWLY rock the wrench back and forth while wiggling
the dime. Repeat for about this for about half an hour. You may have
to place your face on the counter to perform this particular
technique. NOTE: laying on your stomach on top of the counter and
performing this action is NOT more comfortable

Step 5. Have a cigarette (you might want to wash your hands in order
to do this... in fact washing your hands regularly during this
procedure is probably a really good idea.)

Step 6. Repeat step 4.

Step 7. Throw away your needle nose pliers. (The concept that needle
nose pliers will fit inside a sink drain is a logical fallacy. As the
pliers go in the nose of them closes making grasping the dime
absolutely impossible)

Step 8. Repeat step 4 until the dime is significantly bent toward the
center of the drain in an about a 45 degree angle.

NOTE: Do not turn on the disposal in an attempt to dislodge the dime.
If you do this repeat step 4 about five more times

Step 9. Get fed up!!!

Step 10. Take a chisel and place it on the dime.

Step 11. Smack the chisel firmly with the hammer.

Step 12. Once the dime is really close to dropping beyond the metal
edge of the disposal smack it again... this time down the drain!!!

Step 13. remove all "foreign objects" and tools from your
sink.

Step 14. Turn on the water.

Step 15. Turn on the disposal and let the 2 and 1/2 horsepower of your
badger 5 do the rest.

Step 16. Listen to your Badger Purr.

Step 17. test out your Badger with various fruits and non metal/wooden
objects.

Congratulations you Now have a fully functional badger 5-81
Inskereator Garbage disposal... and you're out only 10 cents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tenplay, Donna wrote:
I have a nail stuck between the turntable and ring can't get it out. Should I
remove the disposal and see if I can get it from there? Rather not have to do
it if I try something else. It is bent also

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...uck-90118-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/18 5:44 PM, Donna wrote:
replying to tenplay, Donna wrote:
I have a nail stuck between the turntable and ring can't get it out.
Should I
remove the disposal and see if I can get it from there? Rather not have
to do
it if I try something else. It is bent also

Sometimes using a broomstick handle to reverse the grinder will dislodge
something stuck like this.

Good Luck........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 5:44:06 PM UTC-4, Donna wrote:
replying to tenplay, Donna wrote:
I have a nail stuck between the turntable and ring can't get it out. Should I
remove the disposal and see if I can get it from there? Rather not have to do
it if I try something else. It is bent also

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...uck-90118-.htm

Some have an allen socket on the bottom, so you can turn it backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna m writes:

replying to tenplay, Donna wrote:
I have a nail stuck between the turntable and ring can't get it out. Should I
remove the disposal and see if I can get it from there? Rather not have to do
it if I try something else. It is bent also

Removing the disposal won't make access much easier, you still have to
reach in through the opening.

I'd be thinking pliers or something to reach in and grab it to pull it
out. You can crank it from the bottom using the allen wrench usually
supplied, but I don't think that's going to help much.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:30:08 PM UTC-4, Dan Espen wrote:
Donna m writes:

replying to tenplay, Donna wrote:
I have a nail stuck between the turntable and ring can't get it out. Should I
remove the disposal and see if I can get it from there? Rather not have to do
it if I try something else. It is bent also

Removing the disposal won't make access much easier, you still have to
reach in through the opening.

I was thinking of saying the same thing, but then I thought about it again.
They have the flange that goes in the sink, then the disposal hangs from
it. You might have some more room with it off, but I'm not sure. Some
you can pull the rubber flap thing out too, maybe some you can get that
out when it's off, IDK. Taking it off might not make it much easier,
but sometimes you only need a wee bit to get it done. Reversing it with
the allen wrench would seem to be the best hope to me.

I'd be thinking pliers or something to reach in and grab it to pull it
out. You can crank it from the bottom using the allen wrench usually
supplied, but I don't think that's going to help much.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 6:30:08 PM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Donna m writes:

replying to tenplay, Donna wrote:
I have a nail stuck between the turntable and ring can't get it out. Should I
remove the disposal and see if I can get it from there? Rather not have to do
it if I try something else. It is bent also

Removing the disposal won't make access much easier, you still have to
reach in through the opening.

I'd be thinking pliers or something to reach in and grab it to pull it
out. You can crank it from the bottom using the allen wrench usually
supplied, but I don't think that's going to help much.
--
Dan Espen

The best thing to use is a garbage disposal wrench. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-45101-.../dp/B00065DMQI

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools.../dp/B001AMRRJ4

[8~{} Uncle Garbage Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be thinking pliers or something to reach in and grab it to pull it
out. You can crank it from the bottom using the allen wrench usually
supplied, but I don't think that's going to help much.
--
Dan Espen

The best thing to use is a garbage disposal wrench. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-45101-.../dp/B00065DMQI

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools.../dp/B001AMRRJ4

[8~{} Uncle Garbage Monster

up-thread was another good idea.

use a socket wrench with extension on the center nut

might be easier then using the allen wrench